Newbie Question...

fedoragent

Yep, dash light on/off/dimmer switch. Mine has off-dim-extremely dim positions. I carry a flashlight on the seat next to me, for when I actually want to see my gauges, on a dark night; not just the general location shown with a barely discernable glow.

Great, I know my dash lights work. I tried the switch...DURING THE DAY!!! I'll try it when I get the chance in the evening once she's back from the brake shop.

Thanks guys,

FG.

Ah, but it's true.

It goes from green, to yellow, to red..........

There's a color thing inside, that fades off over time, but

can be re-colored with magic marker. Others will tell you

the same.:D

There are some previous threads on the topic.

In fact, some of the old Mopar 802 radios have a color tube inside so

the dial light changes colors as well. Of the 4 radios I have, one has

the color feature.......a plastic tube that is over the light bulb.

232323232%7Ffp53833%3Enu%3D3292%3E688%3E553%3EWSNRCG%3D3479%3B6463332%3Anu0mrj

In fact, some of the old Mopar 802 radios have a color tube inside so

the dial light changes colors as well. Of the 4 radios I have, one has

the color feature.......a plastic tube that is over the light bulb.

Morning Bob,

As an avid radio guy I hope you can confirm an observation of mine. I have restored several of the model 802 and have seen some with and some without the color wheel. It is my observation that it is the newer versions that do not have the wheel. It also appears that the only outward identification, other than removing the side cover and looking, is that the sets without the color wheel have an unpainted front end of the case. That is the end of the case torward the dial end is plain casting color.

Whereas the ones with the color wheel have the entire case painted. Would it be possible to have you take a look at yours and confirm this for me?? I would greatly appreciate it!!

Dave

My radio is the colorless version and I believe it follows your theory of being unpainted. You can just see part of it in my speaker picture

DSC02019.jpg

Yep and ford and Kia think they are just so damn cool with their mood lighting and speaker lights...........Been there done that inthe 40's... Loosers!!!!

I belive the lights in the radio synched (oops that' now ford term isn't it) withthe tone settings on the radio. What were the settings Voice, Music and whatelse?????

You guys weren't pulling my leg at all. Sorry for doubting. I will have to see whether that color element is there and if it is worn out because I haven't seen colors. Thanks for the info guys!

FG.

Yep and ford and Kia think they are just so damn cool with their mood lighting and speaker lights...........Been there done that inthe 40's... Loosers!!!!

I belive the lights in the radio synched (oops that' now ford term isn't it) withthe tone settings on the radio. What were the settings Voice, Music and whatelse?????

They were "voice" "music" and "mellow" And yes, the colors change with movement of the tone control knob. Keep in mind only the early Model 802 have the colored wheel. The easiest way to tell is looking at the front end of the radios case. If the front end is painted it should have the color wheel. If the front end is cast color and not painted it will not have the color wheel.

Dave

Take the knobs off. Thin nut behind the knobs, and there is a support bracket under the dash attached to, I believe, the cowl vent brace.

EDIT: unplug wire harness to the speaker, and open the fuse holder to remove the power lead.

You are absolutely correct. I will add if you do not mind---unplug the antenna connection as well. Probably goes without saying but thought I would add it just the same.

Dave

Dave----it does appear one is painted and one is not.

Thanks for the pics Bob. Yes, as we both now those are both model 802's. Hence the seven push buttons. This being the upscale version compaired the the 602.

The oddity however is one case is totally unpainted.

Could there be a third version?? I am guessing not. Thus far it appears the only ones I have found with the color wheel are the completely painted ones.

If you were to remove the tube cover I am fairly certain you would find differences. One being the I.F. transformers are much smaller in the unpainted one as well as the audio output transformer would be mounted in a slightly different place. And ofcourse it would be missing the infamous color wheel.

This is something for members to keep in mind when purchasing one off of E-Pay. Remember to ask the seller to remove the cover and look for the color wheel. Performance wise I have notice no difference in the different versions. The wheel serves absoluty no purpose other than the novelty of the color change.

Now the totally unpainted version:eek: The finding get more confusing!!

Dave