"BRN FND" is on the road!

austinsailor

Well, my new license "BRN FND" hasn't arrived yet, but I'm on the road today. After all my questions, I bought a set of 215 R85 16 tires, 10 ply, and got them on last night.

Took her for a maiden voyage today of about 5 miles, runs and drives pretty darn nice. Lots of squeaks and rattles, as my wife pointed out, but heck, that's part of the charm! Runs smooth, steers great and stops quite well.

I found, to my surprise, that the charging system is working correctly.

Someone cut the heat gauge tube off some time ago, so I might be interested in another method of getting that working - after market gauge, or? Any ideas? This isn't intended to be a restoration, just a beater, so anything that gives the temp is fine. 6 volts is probably the stumbling block, though.

But, my intention is to just drive up into the mess of fine, new cars and trucks, at the mall or car show, and watch them scramble to stay back so as to not get hit by flying parts or wonder if the darn thing will even stop.

By the way, with the use of my new-to-me Miller brake tool, and the help of some of the folks here, I have brakes that are solid with about 1" to 1 1/2" of travel. I never knew it was possible with this system!

Gene G.

Central Mo.

post-1283-13585353648807_thumb.jpg

post-1283-13585353649196_thumb.jpg

post-1283-13585353649519_thumb.jpg

The heat gauge is only 6v for the bulb. I have a generic under dash heat gauge I got at a chain auto parts place for like 14.99. Worked great while I hunted for an actual replacement gauge.

No lights or wipers yet, but it'll be coming along.

No ignition switch either - it was missing. I'll get a toggle switch this afternoon, that'll solve that.

I have an electric wiper motor from a panel truck graft the links to the vacuum links, should be good to go.

I've got an aoooga horn I picked up a while back, 6 volts, I might add that. Can't decide if it should go on my 40 dodge sedan or this.

Gene

Nice looking truck. Take some lacquer thinner to the exterior and follow that up with 800 grit wet dry and you will be surprised how much of the old red color will appear and will actually shine. Put 'patina' in the search and you will see what I and others have found under the rust. I would do a test run on 1/2 of the back side of the tail gate. First it is an easy place to work; and you can see your progress. Good luck.

Edited by pflaming

What did you end up with for tires, they look pretty round and black and stuff tires should be. Also what's peeking it 40's Mopar nose into the back groud of the middle picture???

Look up member Todd Fitch in the member pages. I believe he has a link to his temperature gauge repair process imbedded there.

You basically buy a cheapy gauge from the bubble pack store, chill it down to keep the gass in teh sesor end of the tube, and then solder the new to the old.

Edited by greg g

Some guys are using boiled linseed oil to "varnish" them, protects from more rust, but still looks the same. I did the tailgate some time ago to see how it did. About time to do the rest of the truck. I need to clean some rust off of the original lettering on the side first, can't lose that!

Don't know the brand of tires, I'd have to go look. Load range E 215 R85 16 blackwalls.

The nose is a 40 dodge 4 door I've had for about 7 years. Drive it frequently. Bone stock, except before I got it someone replaced the motor with a 48 Plymouth motor, and I replaced the drive shaft with one with spicer u-joints.

Gene

post-1283-13585353652916_thumb.jpg

Edited by austinsailor