Armrest Padding/Foam ?

55 Fargo

Hey all, anyone klnow what is the best approach for foam or padding for armrests.

I have my new material all sewn, but need foam or padding, and want to know what material may be best, how thick it should be etc.

I only have a couple of pieces of the horse hair ypes from only 1 rear armrest.

Any ideas, or suggestions appreciated...............Thanx Fred

some of the later model Plymouths I have here show that the padding was rubber...a very dense sheet of foarm rubber could be cut, glued then shaped with a sanding disc for the proper contour...second...maybe they have this "blank" material at a nearby upholestry shop...or at least dense foam that is fall off from another application that is basically discard to them..saw plenty of odd styles of material being chunked when I had my car upholestered this fall..

some of the later model Plymouths I have here show that the padding was rubber...a very dense sheet of foarm rubber could be cut, glued then shaped with a sanding disc for the proper contour...second...maybe they have this "blank" material at a nearby upholestry shop...or at least dense foam that is fall off from another application that is basically discard to them..saw plenty of odd styles of material being chunked when I had my car upholestered this fall..

Hi Tim, sounds like a rigid foam could be the ticket.

Will go to the auto upholstery supply house, and see what I can get.

Now the little tacks, that attahc the material to the backer board, are those still available, should I use adhesive intead? What might be a used for the attaching purpose , for the material?

when at the shop..inquire..they may have the very thick paperboard in stock for the tacking strip...else, restoration specialties..or ..rip a bit on the old table saw and use a firring strip maybe..necessity is the mother they say..

Hi Tim, have tacking strips here,in the form of of backer board, it's the little tacks, do they still sell these? Or do they use staples now?...Fred

I have some material that looks like a pot scrubber, scouring pad, that forms very good. I found speaker cover material looks real similar also. I used black leather as my armrest cover material. The black leather is from a leather coat. I used the black leather to cover my windlace also, kick boards, floor shift boot, etc...:).

How about a couple old computer mouse pads. They are usually t resilient dense foam that might just be the thing either single layer or doubled. You might also look for the sytle foam they use for holding tools and instruments in briefcases and the like.

I believe most of the armrests had a fairly solid and thick rubberized material of some king. My parts car has two armrest in it but the foam/rubber has deteriorated from the summer sun and heat. I plan on using them on my '38 Chrysler as the ones that came with that car do not really leave enough room to get you fingers in between it and the door. You either mark the door panel up or have to use the handle. Not ideal. I will just cover them in the same material I used for the door panels and bolt them on as the bolt pattern is the same.

...first using a layer of high density foam... perhaps 1/2 inch thick and then maybe 1 inch of regular foam. If you stack up the soft foam thick and then pull it tight, you either take all the absorption out of it or, if you don't pull it tight, you'll have loose shifting material. I'm NOT an upholsterer... just seems logical to me. Someone with real experience please chime in.

i'm going to be using fabric batting. teh stuff i got is about 1/2" thick. i was going to stack it up to about 2.5" then wrap it so it's nice and tight yet still padded.

stuff in the backround

Fred,

I would find an upholstery shop or distributor for a good firm material. Foam and batting comes in various densities. You want a good firm one that will not give too much when you place an arm on it. Just like what's on the seats. I used 1/2" batting behind my side panels and door panels. It works great there, and looks good. But..........it is far from being firm enough to be used for seats or arm rest, even if you stack it.

A good place to look for the right material is a distributor that sells to furniture upholstery shops. We have one here in Milwaukee. I'm sure you will probably find one in a larger city like Winnipeg.

Fred' date='

I would find an upholstery shop or distributor for a good firm material. Foam and batting comes in various densities. You want a good firm one that will not give too much when you place an arm on it. Just like what's on the seats. I used 1/2" batting behind my side panels and door panels. It works great there, and looks good. But..........it is far from being firm enough to be used for seats or arm rest, even if you stack it.

A good place to look for the right material is a distributor that sells to furniture upholstery shops. We have one here in Milwaukee. I'm sure you will probably find one in a larger city like Winnipeg.[/quote']

Picked up some high density foam, meant for seats, will try this. It feels rigid enough for this purpose.

Thanx everyone for your input and ideas...........Fred

Here is a pic of the rear armrests, taken with my Christmas present from the Wife and kids, a Samsung digital camera, oh yeah.

The armrest are not finished yet, still need to tighten and attach the material, I did use rigid foam from and old snowmobile seat, worked pretty good..................Fred

a pic of my new sea:eek:t, and the door panels:), plus 1 of the old girl in her winter slumber:D.

I still have to do the dash work this inwter or in spring, new speedo glass, OEM temp gauge and sender, new carpet, and the newly upholstered seats to go back in. I want to have my glovebox door replasticed too

post-114-13585352810959_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585352811291_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585352811658_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585352812008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rockwood

I've always wanted to take a spin in one of those massive Chrysler coupes! Must be a blast! Merry Christmas!

Here is a pic of the rear armrests, taken with my Christmas present from the Wife and kids, a Samsung digital camera, oh yeah.

The armrest are not finished yet, still need to tighten and attach the material, I did use rigid foam from and old snowmobile seat, worked pretty good..................Fred

a pic of my new sea:eek:t, and the door panels:), plus 1 of the old girl in her winter slumber:D.

I still have to do the dash work this inwter or in spring, new speedo glass, OEM temp gauge and sender, new carpet, and the newly upholstered seats to go back in. I want to have my glovebox door replasticed too

I've always wanted to take a spin in one of those massive Chrysler coupes! Must be a blast! Merry Christmas!

Thanx David for the "thumbs up", this car was a real nightmare/wreck, when I got her, should have been melted down, very rough and incomplete.

I have done 95% of the work on her, including body and paint, I have recieved 95% of my advice and guidance from this forum, from a number of members.

Thsi car has been real low budget, looks that way to, but I did most of myslef at home, I was all I could afford...............LOL

Rockwood, it looks real nice, I had a 1946-8 Chrysler Windsor 4dr sedan 30 yrs ago, a nice old car, unrestored and in need of a resto but original & drivable.......these were never sold in oz in any number, maybe a dozen or two if that, but it was a great old car to drive "around the block"........it was unregistered so I had to be careful with my "drives" but still remember it, btw I have one of those pieces of chrome trim that go around the front fender, think its the smallest piece, if you want it your welcome to it.........lol.........these pieces are probably everywhere in the States......anyway thats a nice restoration you've done, I always loved the dash in the 46-8 Chryslers, lots of chrome.........mine even had a lovely working clock.......and the Highlander trim on a black body...............regards, andyd

Rockwood, it looks real nice, I had a 1946-8 Chrysler Windsor 4dr sedan 30 yrs ago, a nice old car, unrestored and in need of a resto but original & drivable.......these were never sold in oz in any number, maybe a dozen or two if that, but it was a great old car to drive "around the block"........it was unregistered so I had to be careful with my "drives" but still remember it, btw I have one of those pieces of chrome trim that go around the front fender, think its the smallest piece, if you want it your welcome to it.........lol.........these pieces are probably everywhere in the States......anyway thats a nice restoration you've done, I always loved the dash in the 46-8 Chryslers, lots of chrome.........mine even had a lovely working clock.......and the Highlander trim on a black body...............regards, andyd

Thanx Andy, can always use some front whisker trim, mine aren't the best specimens.

PM me on the details, etc.......Merry Christmas BTW

Here is a pic of one of the front armrests completed just a few minutes ago. I still have to recover the other fornt armest, then all will be done.

What a thrilling New Years Eve type I am ........Fred

post-114-13585352888019_thumb.jpg

post-114-13585352888469_thumb.jpg