Bias ply wide whites for sale

Reg Evans

I'm going to try a new set of radial wide whites so I won't be needing these. They are low mileage (4) Firestones 650/16's and say tube type on them. Thought I'd offer them here first before they go on the bay. Make me an offer I can't refuse.

MVC-006F.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis, I actually got my wheels off a 55 Chrysler New Yorker hardtop back in the 70s. It was just a kind of run down older car then....had a continental kit, hemi and factory air. Think I paid something like $475 or so for the car, and it was running. Put on stock type steel wheels, sold it to a young fellow who said he wanted to fix it up. It went to another area town, and have not seen it since.

100_0662.jpg

Now a new reproduction set of those wheels is about $1350 to $1400 for four with center caps. I think they are great looking.....and would buy a brand new set if I had the play money. The used ones are sort of hard to come by, at least around here.

wire76.jpg

Well, Norm.....you know how good hindsight is...... As we all know, that two door hardtop Saratoga New Yorker with factory air, hemi, wire wheels, continental kit, etc is worth several dollars today. The only reason I bought it was for the wheels for the convert. I had left the owner a note under the windshield wiper one day when it was parked along our Main Street....."if you ever want to sell, please call me". About a year later, he called. He just drove it back and forth to his work. It was run down, the seats were fraying, the paint was fading, I had to put a new starter on it....and so forth. But it was not in really bad condition.....no major rust and such. Ah well..........

Then for a while I owned this first year (1951) DeSoto two door hardtop with the rear air conditioning. Not a bad car either...... all original......owned by some older people. Another desirable car today. (In the background, my first ever P15 coupe purchased for $35.)

100_0653.jpg

If I had kept all the old cars I bought in the late 60s and the 70s, I would have a nice little collection today. 1954 and 1955 Ford Converts, 1960 Bonneville convert, 1967 Galaxie XL Ford convert, 40 Dodge business coupe, 54 Buick convert, a couple 50 or 51 Plyms, 50 Dodge Wayfarer convert, 54 Plym wagon, a couple P15 coupes, real nice P15 two door sedan. And probably at the prices I paid for those cars back then, may not have had over $3000 invested in the lot of them.

bob, the repro wires are up to $1600 now so i cannot afford that. i did find one used set last year but two of them had been blasted and painted silver, they looked bad. i did not mind some rust on the other two, but since he wanted $600 i declined.like everything else, if you look long enough it will turn up, sometimes in the most unusual places. i do remember the days when we could buy the car for what we wanted off of it. i once bought a 54 new yorker for $25 just for the hemi and then got $20 back from the junk guy.many other stories, but we all have them. dennis

Dennis, did you know that they had some painted wire wheels also??

They were the same wheel--- I had a set once. Someone initially said they were from a Studebaker, but I have never seen them on a Stude. I think they were used on 1953 and/or 54 Dodges. The set I had was "edge laced" meaning the spokes were clear at the outer edge of the rim. The other style was caled "center laced". The caps were chrome. My wheels were painted silver. But they had other colors -

Here is an example.......

54_Dodge_Coronet_Suburban_dv_la_05_petterson_04.jpg

The edge laced, chrome style was used on this 54 Dodge Granada.

dod54granada.jpg

And on this 1954 Dodge Firearrow II.

1004459.w315.jpg

So....if you find a set that needs a little work, maybe paint them a desired color and go cruising.