1949 Traveler

GrumpyJim

Hello everyone. New here and new to Mopar and new to Flathead motors. I just picked up this 1949 Chrysler Traveler. I understand it's a First Series so most of it is left over '48 stuff.

There are some things I will need to do with the car. My first concern is, the car falls flat in 3rd gear trying to ascend an incline. When I down shift into low gear, it sound like I'm revving the hell out of the motor. Somewhere along the line, someone installed an electric fuel pump. I'm wondering if the motor is starving for fuel when going up hill. Otherwise it drives fine. I was also considering putting back to a mechanical pump. The fuel pump seems readily available. 

thumbnail_image0.jpg

I have a 52 Coronet with the same transmission and they don’t climb hills fast lol. With that transmission you can floor the accelerator at any speed below 35 mph and it will kick down to 3rd gear. Then just lift off the gas to up shift when ready. I have both the mechanical pump and an electric pump that I only use as needed for priming purposes and vapor lock. I doubt you’re starving fuel but without knowing the particulars of your setup I can’t advise you.

1 hour ago, joecoozie said:

I see you are in Penna.

Where in Pa. are you located?

I am in Stroudsburg, Pa and if you're not too far we can get together and I can help with your car.

I have owned several of the 46-49 Chryslers,Dodges,DeSotos and Plymouths - later years, too.

Joe

I am close to Broadheadsville. Not far from you.

The "Drive Report" in the July-August 1974 Special Interest Auto Magazine featured the DeSoto Suburban of that area.  The Report had a side bar feature on the Chrysler Traveler.   

The text as copied is illegible.  It does mention the ash strips and luggage rack on the roof and an "odd little detachable step plate"  which "hooked into the hidden rear running boards, extending them three inches on either side" which "made it easier to reach cargo atop the car." It also mentioned a canvas roof-rack cover.   

I adssumed that the Traveler had an open trunk and fold-down seat like the Suburban, but I find, Not So. 

DeSoto had a Carryall version, on the sedan body, with only two seats, but the second seat folded down and extended the trunk's cargo floor, like the Suburban.

SIA(3)-Traveler.jpg.e026e42c117fdf4470b3e01d16720fba.jpg

2 hours ago, GrumpyJim said:

I am close to Broadheadsville. Not far from you.

Great.

If you want to get together ASAP let me know

Maybe we can meet up this weekend if you want.

I don't know if you can get PM's yet or not but I sent you one anyway with my phone # 

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car.

29 minutes ago, Mezz said:

Would love to see a picture of that step plate.  Surprised the T&C sedan doesn't have that since it's got the roof rack too.

MOST - like 99.9999999% of Travelers have lost that step plate through the years.

Much like Studebaker Wagonaires are missing the step rail on the tailgate - which isn't hard to replicate - it's just tubular steel.

aa32e4c8e4b4afa8d43a6d1c086619e5.jpg

7 hours ago, GrumpyJim said:

Hello everyone. New here and new to Mopar and new to Flathead motors. I just picked up this 1949 Chrysler Traveler. I understand it's a First Series so most of it is left over '48 stuff.

There are some things I will need to do with the car. My first concern is, the car falls flat in 3rd gear trying to ascend an incline. When I down shift into low gear, it sound like I'm revving the hell out of the motor. Somewhere along the line, someone installed an electric fuel pump. I'm wondering if the motor is starving for fuel when going up hill. Otherwise it drives fine. I was also considering putting back to a mechanical pump. The fuel pump seems readily available. 

thumbnail_image0.jpg

What was the DeSoto called?  (My younger brother had (has?  I don't know) one he got out of a salvage - missing the rear seat & some other parts already when he got it.  But had the opening from the trunk clear through like yours must have.  It was also a 49.)

45 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

What was the DeSoto called?  (My younger brother had (has?  I don't know) one he got out of a salvage - missing the rear seat & some other parts already when he got it.  But had the opening from the trunk clear through like yours must have.  It was also a 49.)

It could be a Suburban which had 3 seats or a Carry-All which had 2 seats' (like a regular 4-door sedan)

I had a 49 (real 49 not an early one) Suburban Sedan of which there were only 129 made.

I have not seen another one

I also had a 1951 Carry-All

I wish I had kept them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joecoozie said:

It could be a Suburban which had 3 seats or a Carry-All which had 2 seats' (like a regular 4-door sedan)

I had a 49 (real 49 not an early one) Suburban Sedan of which there were only 129 made.

I have not seen another one

I also had a 1951 Carry-All

I wish I had kept them.

Carry-All, that was it.  I figured I'd recognize the name if I heard it.

Here's a 1950 DeSoto Carry-All.   Like my Dad's '50 Suburban, the back seat looks normal, and the trunk is closed.  But flip the seat cushion forward, and the armrests support it.  Flip the back cushion down to and pull a hinged filler panel forward to fill in the floor. The Chrysler Traveler of that era had the same feature.  

image.jpeg.29b42b7ea66019061ad9f4841d11cb25.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m doubtful you have a fuel pump problem. The electric pump is generally more reliable long term versus the mechanical pump. You could check fuel pressure to confirm its within range. 

Does this car have the M5 semi-auto “Tip-Toe” shift transmission? I suspect so. Hi range top gear going up steep hill, expect flat performance. Kick it down to passing gear and let off the throttle a bit so its not revving so high.  That’s pretty much all you get. Its a heavy car with relatively low compression, low HP engine. Probably a 251 ci engine I assume.

You can check the engine’s state of tune and address it if needed. That might help improve power a bit. However, it will still perform mediocre compared to later model cars with bigger engines. 

Here is the SIA article in a PDF.

Over the next six months I need to decide if I am going to rebuild the 1947 Suburban or sell it. The 1964 Chrysler 300K is taking over the daily driving duties as my wife insists on power steering and A/C and I really do not want to have to rework the '47 to get all that. I also am taking stock on space considerations.

The other issue is that the '47 was going to be used for our cross country driving. But so many place now have car window smash and grabs that we just do not want to leave our Oshkosh Luggage in the '47 for all to see. I know what will happen. The trunk in the 300K is going to get 1/2 bolt solenoids so without the key fob you will never get it open. Out of sight and out of mind...

James

SIA_Article_Desoto_Suburban.pdf

Thanks for posting that article. Very informative. Unfortunately, the step for my Traveler has long been lost. I'd like to see if anyone had one to possibly use it as a template to make a replacement. I've been doing some cleaning on the old Chrysler. Here is as she sits now. She has some bumps and bruises ad some hap hazard repairs done during her life time. Overall, she is in great survivor condition.

cleaned up.jpg