Cylinder Repair Kits

Bingster
Go to solution Solved by desoto1939,

Through the letters EIS I found a guy on eBay who had a NOS cylinder repair kit with pistons and the whole bit. I didn't think I'd ever find those red pistons. It's been a bit of work cleaning up the original cylinders but it's been fun.  Thanks again Rich for the heads up.

Binster your are welcome.  This is one of the main reasons why the purchasing of old time parts catalogs is sooooooo important.  These older catalogs provide so much information and knowledge about these older cars and you always learn new information.

Rich Hartung

Regarding my reconditioned cylinders . . . I honed them out and a couple had a pit above the rubber cup where only the outer metal piston piece travels in and out. I measured and the rubber cup does not hit the pit. Would this be okay?

I did that to. Had pits in the piston area but not where the cup traveled. Been that way for a while. BUT!!! The need to check them more often for leakage has increased, so inspect them about twice a year. You can use it that way, but put it on the to do list of things to replace when you get the time or money. 

How's that old saying go, You can only polish a ******* so much till you hit the soft center.

Joe Lee

I did a set in an old car that were in terrible shape, actually eaten all the way through in places (beyond the traveled area.) All I know is, they worked. I did have one seep after a few years.