need a date

bsa48

recently got a chrysler straight 8 not sure of year was told 38 i do know its pre 40 to look at it... number on engine is 81599 what i learned about the trans it may be a 36 or 37...can some find me a date.......

on the boss above the generator is  stamped a series of letters and numbers Copy this info and then post the info.  This will tell you when the engine was produced and for what year and model of Chrysler.

Rich Hartung

Looking here in my records the strait 8's of that era had various stroke lengths. You may want to measure your stroke to confirm.

The optional higher compression ratios were created by different cylinder head combustion chamber sizes.

1935 Through 1942 the Chryslers, there were a 3 different of straight 8 offerings:

Some have 3 ¼" bore x 4 ⅛" stroke 273.8 ci std compression ratio 6.7:1 optional 7.4:1 110 BHP optional 115 BHP

Some have 3 ¼" bore x 4 ½" stroke 298.7 ci std compression ratio 6.2:1 optional 7.4:1 110 BHP optional 122 BHP

Some have 3 ¼" bore x  4 ⅞" stroke  323.5 ci. 6.5:1 compression ratio 130 BHP

It would be fun to take the 323 ci engine  and put the optional high compression ratio 273.8 head on it. I did this with my Chrysler 6 and gained about 7-8 psi. Here's hoping you have the beefy-baby. The 130 HP offering. I love the purr and smooth balance of a straight 8.

Edited by keithb7

11 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

It's ok if someone finds me a date, too..............

I had a blind date once. Only thing I knew about her was she had dark hair and eyes. I also found out she was English. That was 31 years ago. We have been married for 29 years now. ? And a lovely thing she is too! I would not trade her for the world!!! Oh did I mention she loves old cars!

Edited by SteveR
  • Like 2

People offered to set me up on blind dates when I was single, told them I had two requirements in a girl before I would go on a date-

1- They had to weigh less than me. 

2- They couldn’t grow a better mustache than me.

Edited by 52ismine
  • Like 1