'50 Plymouth Deluxe body pics needed

50Fastback

I'm trying to change body mounts on my 48. I loosened the driver side mounts and took the fasteners off the passenger side. I'm having a heck of a time getting body and frame to separate enough to get a couple of the old mounts completely off. Any suggestions? 

3 hours ago, jgreg53 said:

I'm trying to change body mounts on my 48. I loosened the driver side mounts and took the fasteners off the passenger side. I'm having a heck of a time getting body and frame to separate enough to get a couple of the old mounts completely off. Any suggestions? 

There are a few more things that will fight you. The steering column is the first one that comes to mind. The front clip needs to be free'd up also. 

The two mounts right below the front doors are stuck, big time.  The bolts going through the floor in into the frame are seized in their holes. Could this keep the frame from separating? Also, I took the steering box loose.

Edited by jgreg53

throw in the towel but do not throw in extra rubber bushings.....you may need what is referred to as a chevy wrench for bolt extraction....yeah these do rust....but before slamming them with blunt force, heat them a few times with the torch....don't have a torch....your headaches are just beginning....

th?id=OIP.tUZfTMnEVO1o3QHn4PLySQHaC3&pid=Api&P=0

I finally had to drill them out. I'm  actually using a rubber boat trailer roller to make my own mounts. It works and is a lot cheaper. So I have enough to add bushings to the firewall corners.. and I tried the torch. Didn't help. It did set the old rubber on fire.

Edited by jgreg53
  • Like 1

you will placing the body in stress IF you add rubber bushings to the firewall mounts...this is your alignment points...and while I think the boat rubber roller may be a bit hard for the body bushing, they should be easier to turn on a lathe for the proper centering protrusion so to prevent shifting.   Do not forget to properly torque your body mounts.  

Cannot say for sure on the 1948, but the 1949 and 50 Plymouths did not use rubber under the front-most body mounts!

Found it hard to believe for a while , but when I put bushings under the front legs of my  50 Suburban the doors could Not be properly aligned, needed to be removed.

Distorted the door opening.

DJ