Rock Auto - Shipping costs- WOW

Lou Earle

Went to rockauto site and ordered a bunch of mscl parts largest being wiper blades-some plugs points etc. Prices were very reasonable if not low

But then shipping costs- 29 bucks on an odored fro 250 bucks- that wiped out all my savings. I ordered anyway because I needed parts and I would have paid the same plus tax here and this put the parts on my shelf once and for all.

Nothing pissed me off more that those famous no inventory clerks

"not in stock but I can have it here tomorrow after lunch" Well dammit if I wanted it tomorrow after lunch I would not be here now.

I am so mad I could go crush a prune.

Anyway be careful on the shipping aspect of rock auto.

Here is a comment I sent them by email- maybe others should do the same or am I way off base here?

I am a new customer. I found your prices to be excellent and your product line quite extensive.

I was very satisfied UNTIL I GOT THE SHIPPING CHARGES

Any savings I might have had was eliminated by the fact that your shipping EXCEEDED 10 PERCENT of the total sales cost.

I would very much like to see the actual shipping costs as billed to you by the shipper.

I am sure I will not get that invoice but I find the shipping very high.

I will certainly tell ail my friends that your site is excellent for the hard to find parts but watch out for the shipping rip off on the end.

Luman Earle

Lou,

I feel your pain and the high cost to have something shipped. In this mornings paper I ran across an article in the busness section that UPS is raising their rates again.

This all should come out in the end when the stock market crashes. I believe this is needed to bring everything back into alignment.

Skip

Good Info Skip........yeah, I got the email from UPS today cause I use them almost daily. Man, I hate to see them bump thier rates again, but it looks like it's going to be. So everyone, keep an eye on the shipping for anything you order or invoice for, cause quite a few of the standard services are going up, including ground. Awwww, the cost of doing business.

Lou,

I feel your pain and the high cost to have something shipped. In this mornings paper I ran across an article in the busness section that UPS is raising their rates again.

This all should come out in the end when the stock market crashes. I believe this is needed to bring everything back into alignment.

Skip

Rock auto ships from different locations if you look at the total on the bottom by the shipping cost it will say 2 locations that is when the shipping cost gets crazy. Seems like it goes by manufacture but in any case the trick is to keep the shipments from one location.

I have a code for a 5% discount rockauto sent me a while back anyone can use it information is below. why call or send the a email and tell them you forgot to apply the discount code.

Ed

This email is just a reminder that your RockAuto discount code

782742697415 will expire on November 20, 2007. If you or anyone you know is

thinking of doing some vehicle repair, now's the time to order the parts!

To take advantage of your discount:

* Please visit www.rockauto.com and put the parts you need in the

Shopping Cart.

* Use the following discount code:

* Enter your discount code (and no other characters or spaces) in the

"How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.

* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the

"Set" button to the right of the field.

* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order

total.

My guess is Rockauto bases there shipping cost on the dollar ammount of the order not the actual shipping charges. Others such as JC Whitney do this. But with Whitney I think once you exceed a pre set ammount the shipping is free. I have not bought anything from Rockauto for a couple of years but I do not recall excessive shipping costs.

Gentlemen...something the US Postal does nto really advertise but is available is pre paid shipping boxes..yes they have a few different sizes..it is priority and is flat rate..good deal..weight is not an issue..put all you can in it...goes for a flat rate..like the 4.00 1 lb box...they are available in larger size..

Tim made a very good point about the Post Office having some pretty good deals on shipping. For example, they have 2 sizes of Priority Mail flat rate boxes.....cram just about anything into one, it goes anywhere in the country for $8.95, and gets there in a few days. These boxes (as well as many other shipping supplies and boxes) are FREE (my favorite 4-letter word starting with 'F'...). The Post Office will send you bundles of boxes at no cost! Quite a deal. Check it out at the link below:

http://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10152&top=Y&categoryId=11820&parent_category_rn=&top_category=

Actual shipping cost for small orders of under $200 will usually run anywhere from 5% to about 20%, depending on destination and weight. In addition, if everything doesn't fit in one box, there is also a minimum charge for each box/package, which also adds to the cost. On top of that, UPS also tacks on a Fuel Charge to each package shipped. So........if you want to complain to someone, the carrier is the one to complain to. Even FedEx and truckers do the same thing in regards to a separate Fuel Service Charge tacked on to each shipment. That started a few years ago with the price of fuel going up and down so much. In addition, FedEx also has a minimum charge like UPS does for each box/package shipped.

Example: We have one product that weighs about 65 lbs and cost $132. If we ship it between Milwaukee and the east coast shipping cost will run about $18 to $20. If we ship that same package to Texas or AZ, the cost is about $28. Ship it to anywhere along the West Coast and the cost shoots up to between $42 to $50. Those are actual cost either through UPS or FedEx Ground.

We use the flat rate USPS boxes & envelope here nearly every day. You can stuff as much weight as you can into either of the 2 different size Flat Rate boxes that USPS offers....as long as what ever you put into them doesn't change the size of the box dimensionally. We use the Flat Rate envelope too.....I can put our Desert Camo Tire Covers in the envelope and we also get a military mess kit in an envelope too....and they are delivered within 2 to 3 days. They are the best deal USPS has going.

Makes me think of an email I send to UPS just this week.....

It is not an inquiry. This is a message to make a complaint that you are a bunch of crooks. In the past 2 weeks I've received 2 packages to which I've had over $70 in BROKERAGE fees.... fees that are both exhorbitant and unfair. Even when I recieve a package via Canada Post and USPS the maximum I have is a $5 handling fee... (plus the taxes which is NORMAL) but you guys charge useless fees for a USELESS SERVICE.... and EVERY single one of my packages will NEVER be shipped via UPS (and EVERYONE I talk to from NOW ON will be told to avoid UPS)....

To which I was responded;

Thank you for your inquiry. We sincerely apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. As you may be aware, all shipments crossing into Canada must be reported to Canada Customs and/or other government agencies. If the shipment is imported personally, you must report the shipment to Canada Customs, otherwise, the carrier is required to report the shipment on your behalf. This is to ensure that such shipments are legally entitled to enter into the country and that applicable taxes and duties are levied and paid. In Canada, paying those duties and taxes along with applicable brokerage fees is the responsibility of the consignee, or the importer of record.

A Brokerage fee is charged to process your shipment and present the requisite customs paperwork to Canada customs on your behalf. All courier shipments with a value exceeding $20 CAD require customs clearance by a licensed broker. The customs clearance procedure requires the broker to perform, on behalf of the importer, a number of tasks. Tasks include, but are not limited to, auditing import documentation, classifying the commodity being imported, and preparing and transmitting accounting information to Canada Customs. The UPS Customs Brokerage published rate schedule is competitive with other licensed customs brokers in Canada. Please be advised that all of our rates or fees are published and available in our rate guides or at

(http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html).

When accessing the link for Rates for Customs Clearance into Canada, please review the complete fee schedule provided. Please note that Entry Preparation Charges, Disbursement Fees and Additional Services may apply to your shipment.

UPS advises U.S. shippers that brokerage charges, duties and taxes will be billed to the importer in Canada unless otherwise indicated by the shipper. UPS encourages U.S. shippers to advise their customers of these fees and to post this information on their website if they are selling goods online or in their catalogues.

For basic imports, UPS brokerage fees are included for all shipments sent via any one of UPS’s air services, Express and Expedited. UPS brokerage fees are not included in the freight charges for shipments sent via UPS Standard.

Please contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Paul

UPS Customer Service

And my rebuttle;

It seems you can't read either...... I said that I understand that taxes and duties will be charged....what I DO NOT accept is your ridiculously HIGH brokerage fees... when something is valued at $75 and you charge a $32 brokerage fee, that is robbery. At the post office, the most it would've cost me was $5 in "extra fees" (other than taxes and duties.... Another package valued at $150 gave me $52 in brokerage fees... again, this is NOT duties and taxes... are you telling me that it is harder or "longer" to treat a a higher valued item.... that is complete **************..... the post office would've charged me $5 once again for this package... as I said before, this is not the duties and taxes, but your ridiculous handling fees that are both exhorbitant and unfair..... you guys are just crooks, period!!!

I know you have to pay shipping charges but please tell me how you can sell a part if you do not handle it. Shipping and handling charges? I know seller is going to make a proffit but add the handling fee and don't make me feel like your ripping me off by charging me shipping and HANDLING. I bought a 5.70 part off ebay and paid 12.70 in shipping and handling charges. When I got part the postage was 1.50. Shipping and handling charges are another way to get your bucks.

Bill

Norm,

No URL....at one time we had one, and had a small store some years ago, but have slowed down a bit the last 5 years or so. I just list this stuff on Craigs List and ebay under our "webware_concepts" ID.....plus I sell a few boxes of the tire covers to some 4X4 clubs when they get low. I still have a too much military stuff out in the shed...gonna have to do something about it one of these days. PM me if you have a question about anything though....if you are looking for something maybe I can help you find it.

Lou, 'splain to me, what is "savings"?:rolleyes:

Splat, is that a web business? What's the URL?

I always avoid UPS. They always charge excessive fees after the package arrives in Canada. Best way for me to go if ordering from the States is the good old USPS and Canada Post. I have never had trouble with them, shipping costs less, and there is never another fee this side of the border. Only thing you pay is any tax owing and you do that when you pick up your parcel or it is delivered to your door. People tend to run the postal service down but I have had nothing but good luck with them.

I feel your pain , shipping to Curacao from US is even more costly :(

Small package would easily be 100$ and then I get the 40% (yes forty) import duties on carparts on top.

I have a lot of experience with Fedex, DHL etc for S&H IT related stuff (servers, PC's etc) and atthe moment the costs are outrageous.

Stepped away from DHL after they added 15$ local charges for the service.

I would not even really mind the extra buck but the service is so poor, I have to call them to get my stuff.

Alan, I agree on your story and experienced several times that people just can't read. Very frustrating !

So back to a new week with new challanges!

Have a good one !

John

I thought about buying a radio off Ebay for US$30 (Chrysler model 502 - needs restoration), pay US$78 for freight to Oz!!! I dont need it THAT badly. GEEZ.... It looks like if something weighs more than 4 lb freight costs go stratospheric.

Ok..here is the deal...I wanted a couple parts for my 54...so I went online at Advance and checked availability..one in stock one needed ordered..so as I had to be in town I stopped by..online said 1 day ship to local store..got to local store..their computer said twice the price and deliverly maybe the 21 of this month...WHAT GIVES right...so I left..will call Atlanta headquarters for that gripe tomorrow..

Come home..go online and create my account...as I need other items also for I thought long term and opted for the free shipping for 50 dollar order that is less than 20 lbs..They have oil filters, pushrod cover gasket set, points, condensors, plug wire sets...all kinds of goodies are availabe at rock bottom prices...plug wires are just 7.79 a set..anyway..got my parts..no shipping charge..did have to pay tax though of 2.87 cents...

Shel...may be why they are priced as low as they are...live and learn and am sure that I can use them on something at the house..if just the ole tractor...

The tapper cover gaskets are Felpro and I am sure they be good product..the tune up kits are also brand name..and of course the Purolator oil filters..we will see...this order will determine if the stay at home and shop online is worth it or not..on the average I like to have my product in hand at money exchange time but am so tired of the new management we have in our local store..I dread even having to stop for even antifreeze...local Napa has always been horrible but the store about 24 miles from home is a great bunch of helpful folks..pricy but they respect their customers..the store in next town closed to my home is very smallparts place and deals more in truck and some farm implements..I have to be desperate to even consider going to his place for anything..grease, fan belt and such..