Oil Pressure obtained but now have massive leak

Marty C
Go to solution Solved by JerseyHarold,

I want to thank everyone who gave me tips on getting oil pressure to my newly rebuilt engine. I thought the easiest trick would be taking the cover off the oil pump and filling it with Vaseline. It was easy enough to do. within a few seconds of cranking engine, sounded different and I knew I was getting pressure. Unfortunately, when I looked under the car oil was pouring out of the oil pan!

i’m hoping to include a video and or pictures of where it is leaking out from. 
I am guessing it’s the oil pan gasket, but it seems to be coming out quite faster than a gasket leak. I’m thinking maybe there is a galley plug missing somewhere but it’s coming from the driver side rear oil pan there seems to be a hole in the block, but there is one in the front also that is not leaking

I guess my question is, can I remove the oil pan with the engine still in the car?3CBFF284-2B09-453B-A7AE-17CE98210F14.jpeg.178e2268e924101d9d0a354c2bfd2402.jpeg3CBFF284-2B09-453B-A7AE-17CE98210F14.jpeg.178e2268e924101d9d0a354c2bfd2402.jpeg

3 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Have you checked the oil pressure gauge feed line?  It has a rubber hose section that goes from the left rear of the engine to the firewall in line with where the oil gauge is located on the dashboard.  Might be worth a look.

Believe it or not, I found a new one!! I have a great old fashioned auto parts store!! Had this factory replacement part in STOCK!!

that wasn’t the problem tho, it was a missing plug!

3 hours ago, JerseyHarold said:

Have you checked the oil pressure gauge feed line?  It has a rubber hose section that goes from the left rear of the engine to the firewall in line with where the oil gauge is located on the dashboard.  Might be worth a look.

C074F74F-349D-4FA3-9B9F-9C0102EA3544.jpeg

48 minutes ago, Marty C said:

Believe it or not, I found a new one!! I have a great old fashioned auto parts store!! Had this factory replacement part in STOCK!!

that wasn’t the problem tho, it was a missing plug!

C074F74F-349D-4FA3-9B9F-9C0102EA3544.jpeg

Gotta love those old fashioned parts stores. We have one where I live but I see it slowly changing after it changed hands. 

Glad you got the problem sorted!

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Marty C said:

I want to thank everyone who gave me tips on getting oil pressure to my newly rebuilt engine. I thought the easiest trick would be taking the cover off the oil pump and filling it with Vaseline. It was easy enough to do. within a few seconds of cranking engine, sounded different and I knew I was getting pressure. Unfortunately, when I looked under the car oil was pouring out of the oil pan!

i’m hoping to include a video and or pictures of where it is leaking out from. 
I am guessing it’s the oil pan gasket, but it seems to be coming out quite faster than a gasket leak. I’m thinking maybe there is a galley plug missing somewhere but it’s coming from the driver side rear oil pan there seems to be a hole in the block, but there is one in the front also that is not leaking

I guess my question is, can I remove the oil pan with the engine still in the car?3CBFF284-2B09-453B-A7AE-17CE98210F14.jpeg.178e2268e924101d9d0a354c2bfd2402.jpeg3CBFF284-2B09-453B-A7AE-17CE98210F14.jpeg.178e2268e924101d9d0a354c2bfd2402.jpeg

I'm glad the Vaseline trick worked for you.