Possible Mufflers to use

Bryan

I had measured the existing muffler I have for my 1948 Dodge but later found by looking at my Hollander book it wasn't exactly correct.  My muffler has a 22" long body, but has offset inlet and outlet.  The book says #24 part 676955, a 5X8 oval body 2" offset inlet, 1.75" center outlet,  23" body and 27 1/2" overall length.   Since I'm getting dual exhaust (cracked my manifold) I'm looking at using a Y from the headers with a 2.5 outlet, going into the muffler with 2.5" and exiting with 2.25. The only two makes that are close in length are $186 Flowmaster 70s (ouch) and Walkers ($27 - $36). Others were too small.   Rather than list a bunch of models, I'd rather just say to use Walker's search engine for universal mufflers entering only an oval shape, the inlet diameter and position and outlet position, 1 count for both, with all else entered as unsure, and then look thru what you need.. Some of the listed models are no longer available. AND if you see a muffler you might want DON"T CLICK ON IT..it clears the results and search engine entries. Write it down on a card and look on another web tab to see if available. 

Edited by Bryan
Added don't click..

Used a dynomax turbo flow.  Pretty close to stack size with 2 inch I'd inlet and outlet. Center in, offset out.  Benn on there since 2006 or so.  Not loud, no drone, gets a bit audible when used briskly.  Don't even know if they are still made.  Cost was 30 bucks back then.

You'll probably find a lot more choices if you drop the inlet size down to  2.25. Differing inlet and outlet sizes cuts down the options dramatically.  2.25 should give you all the flow you may need.  Going too big can be detrimental to performance.  If you're checking local parts houses for those numbers and not finding them, it doesn't mean they can't be ordered.  In-house inventory of exhaust systems has dropped way down.

Trying to keep it as quiet as possible. Found the general theory and what my muffler guy was saying that the longer the muffler (generally) the quieter it is.   Unlike my Dakota I have plenty of space for a long muffler.   The 2.25 in and out puts it to 2 Walker models 17827 ($38) and 18106 ($31).   2.5 in and 2.25 out gives 1 model 18109 ($34) but special order.   I might go with both 2.25 if I get me a Y with two 2" in and one 2.25 out. Yeah, there are calculations for pipe size needed vs horsepower..don't think I'll be ever pulling 200HP.