1948 Chrysler Mopar 802 radio

Woodie

After being in storage for 60 years surprisingly my original 802 radio works but I have a hard time getting the bottom button for manual tuning to work.  I have to push it several times with lots of static before it finally allows me to manually tune a station.  I am assuming the button manually engages something.  The push buttons always move the to different stations when pushed.  Before I pull it out I wonder if anyone can tell me how this button works and perhaps even a picture if you have taken a radio apart.  Thank much

Woodie,

I wish I could be of more assistance, however, I always sent my tube (Philco 802) out for Service in PA. There is a section in your Service Manual that addresses what you are asking about. Pages 94 and 95 in The 1941-1948 Chrysler Shop Manual. I have very little experience with these Radios, however, I believe if you take the side cover off and use a graffite powder lube sparingly it may free that button up some. Just guessing though. Good Luck!

Tom

I have a good friend/neighbor that works on old radio's on a regular basis, he has serviced/repaired several for me. I became aware several years ago that vintage radio's need a lot of help if they are to be used on a regular basis.

When I was in the process of rebuilding my '39 Plym conv coupe I came upon a complete '39 radio that appeared to be NOS. I gave the radio to my friend, he opened it up and got very excited, it appeared to be new inside. my friend checked the radio out before he hooked it up to power. When the radio was hooked up, to our surprise it played beautifully. Within a few minutes it quit.

It took my friend days to find out what the problem was, turned out that when the radio was assembled in 1939 a tube pin connector had been damaged which prevented it from making a good contact. A simple repair to the socket.

I found out a long time ago that NOS does not mean the part is good, many have a problem that may not have appeared until the part was put into service, most likely my radio fit into that category. Wm

I have several pages (10) of technical information on the Model 802 radio but nothing that specifically relates to the push button controls. If you would like a copy, including schematics and parts list just let me know. Dave

Thanks for all you help guys.  I do have repair sheets and technical bulletins but nothing really talks or shows the mechanical things that happen when you push the tuning button.  I was glad to see a diagram of the controls from member “chrysler41”.   I will pull out the radio and see exactly what is going on - I guess I was looking for something simple to fix it.  On another note I put a new fuse in my clock and after 60 years storage it is ticking away keeping time again.  It is so nice working on a one owner 38K mile car!  My fuel gauge is sporadic so probably the contact points in it need cleaning after all that time in storage as I replaced tank and sender unit.

I just finished redoing the radio in my 49, but it's different than yours. I've been playing with old vacuum tube electronics for many years but I'm still not as good as I'd like to be. I did fix the set in a Packard that was, I believe, rather similar to yours. I had trouble with the manual/pushbutton tuning mechanism. That area of the chassis was difficult to access. Lubrication, in the right place, might do it but wear and tear might be the enemy. 

As Bryan said above, at some point new capacitors are in order but if it works well now I'd let it go.