Rack and pinion in my ‘48 Plymouth

Scott Knecht

Howdy folks.  
Question for those running the Cavalier racks in their rides.  
Where can one find the coupler necessary to attach the steering shaft to the rack itself? I can’t seem to locate a replacement and all the yards near me are bare of any 80’s- 90’s Cavaliers and their counterparts.  
The shaft out of the rack is a 5/8” double d with a recess for a pinch bolt.  I can find no one who makes a 5/8” u-joint that isn’t splined. 

4 hours ago, Scott Knecht said:

Howdy folks.  
Question for those running the Cavalier racks in their rides.  
Where can one find the coupler necessary to attach the steering shaft to the rack itself? I can’t seem to locate a replacement and all the yards near me are bare of any 80’s- 90’s Cavaliers and their counterparts.  
The shaft out of the rack is a 5/8” double d with a recess for a pinch bolt.  I can find no one who makes a 5/8” u-joint that isn’t splined. 

Look here:

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2&page=1

• Like 1

Happy to report the ‘96 Cavalier steering shaft from Rock Auto fits right on the ‘94 and older rack.  It utilizes a 3/4” double D shaft from the other side of u-joint to the second u-joint which also uses a double D on the steering shaft side.  Should be pretty easy to adapt.  Even if I only need the lower u-joint and go from there.  I’ll add some photos when I get to the actual installation. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Knecht said:

Using the Cavalier rubber isolators and I will be fabricating clamps and mounts once I figure out the geometry.  
Not sure what I’m in for.  Lol

Found these pictures on the web. They are dated from 2014. Maybe somebody on the Forum? Look at the mounts- they look hand fabricated. I wonder if Fatman has mounts that would work?

197.JPG

196.JPG

• Like 3

I’ve been in touch with Fatman Fabrications.   They do offer a kit expressly for the ‘46-‘48 Plymouth and counterparts.  
it includes the fabricated mounts to utilize the center steer rack from ‘82-‘94 Cavaliers.  It also includes tie rod sleeves to adapt the Cavalier inner rods to ‘04-‘05 Ford Explorer outer tie rod ends (purchased separately) which supposedly fit the Mopar steering arms. And of course it includes the u-joint necessary to attach the rack to the steering shaft, which I just frantically purchased from Rock Auto. (Insert sarcasm here) lol

the kit is $290 plus shipping. 
So as funds allow I may just purchase the kit to eliminate some guess work.  

2 hours ago, Scott Knecht said:

I’ve been in touch with Fatman Fabrications.   They do offer a kit expressly for the ‘46-‘48 Plymouth and counterparts.  
it includes the fabricated mounts to utilize the center steer rack from ‘82-‘94 Cavaliers.  It also includes tie rod sleeves to adapt the Cavalier inner rods to ‘04-‘05 Ford Explorer outer tie rod ends (purchased separately) which supposedly fit the Mopar steering arms. And of course it includes the u-joint necessary to attach the rack to the steering shaft, which I just frantically purchased from Rock Auto. (Insert sarcasm here) lol

the kit is $290 plus shipping. 
So as funds allow I may just purchase the kit to eliminate some guess work.  

Great info. I will contact them. Maybe they will have stuff that will fit a "52.

I just got verification that my rack is from a 1992 Olds Achieva. They said it cross references to a Cavalier rack. It looks the same, but no one has ever mentioned any other marques as substitutes. Anyone use any other GM racks besides Cavalier?

I’m new to this all too Frank.  
I thought the same that it might interfere with the oil pan but I guess we’ll see.  I’m going to be using an LS swap pan on my 6.0 conversion for ground clearance.  So if I get to the rack by then I’ll let you know where it is in relation to the crank shaft centerline if that helps.  

The Cavalier rack as mentioned was used in all the USA GM J car variations which for those of us outside of North America included the Australian Holden Camira and various UK Vauxhalls...........andyd.