Rear end swap

ksujames

Check this reference chart for most popular rear ends.

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html#Suspension

also some one just mentioned they swapped in a Cherokee rear (of which there are several including a MOPAR 8.25, and or a DANA 35) most common are mopar with a 3.55 ratio, You may need to swap the spring perches from top to bottom. You will also need to update your driveshaft.

And for MOPAR specific pieces;

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

I have a 1950 truck w/4:1:1 rear end. Can anyone recommend which type of rear end I could swap to pick up some speed and not have to do any major re-conf?

If you have a 1/2 ton you could do what I did. Just swap the diff to a car unit. I put a 3.90 in my 46 and it cruises nicely now. 3.73 was also available.

Ed

If you have a 1/2 ton you could do what I did. Just swap the diff to a car unit. I put a 3.90 in my 46 and it cruises nicely now. 3.73 was also available.

Ed

Great idea Ed. I was wondering if the car diffs were compatable. I have a 3/4 ton truck, but the axles were the same as the 1/2 tons, I believe.

What donor car supplied your diff?

Great idea Ed. I was wondering if the car diffs were compatable. I have a 3/4 ton truck, but the axles were the same as the 1/2 tons, I believe.

What donor car supplied your diff?

Hi Merle

Mine came from a 51 plymouth. Anything from the 40s through I believe 53 will work. I have a 54 diff in my 48 club coupe and in order to do that we had to swap the side gears. Sometime around 54 they changed the spline count on the axles. Ed

I have a 1950 truck w/4:1:1 rear end. Can anyone recommend which type of rear end I could swap to pick up some speed and not have to do any major re-conf?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/Differential/?start=all

For pictures of how I installed a Dodge Charger differential in my P-15. It was close to a bolt in. I instsalled 3.55/1 gears in this differential. With my overdrive transmission I can cruise at 70 MPH and my engine is turning around 2000 RPM,s with plenty of torque to pull the hills.

Don Coatney