Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

Decisions

Heavy Flat Head

:confused: Just when I think I have things figured out up comes another buy. I have found a 48 Desoto motor and trans that the guy wants $200.00 for. This person just bought the car and wants to install a V8. Of course the person who he bought the car from just rebuilt the motor. We have all heard this story before, so what do you think I should do? For my 218 I have already bought a 230 crank, rods and over 30 pistons and have had the cam ground to what Don suggested. Do you think it would be worth the chance that this motor is any good? If not would there be a chance I could sell enough parts to recoup some of my money? I think that if I bought it I should be able to sell parts of my other motor to help recoup some of the costs. I told myself when I started this project I would not change my mind two many times. :eek:

Oh well there goes that theory.

Decisions, decisions always decisions.

I have a idea that I am going to be buying a motor and trans today. :D

Now to tell my wife! :o

Maybe I could say that it must of just appeared like her animals do. ;)

Ed.

I guess I would pick it up and store it. I think with what you have into your 218, I would finish it. It will be a good strong motor and will go back in easier than tinkering with the long block. then you can tinker with the DeS motor and see it it is up to snuff. Then you can swap it, sell it, or build something to put it into.

Hey Ed, I agree with Marty, Greg & Tim....Get it. Agreeing with Tim that having all those spares can be a plus. As far as storing it or dropping it in, well, only you can decide how quickly you want to get behind the wheel and be driving the car. But if you are only at the stage of having collected the parts for your build and haven't assembled yet, then I'd go with the idea of dropping the DeSoto motor in if it's pretty much just a " plug & play " swap...that way you can find out pretty quickly what the motor is like...if good, drive it while your building your 218...no hurry. But if you find the motor is not what you expected, you've still been building your 218, yank the motor out of the car and set it aside....nothing lost but a little time. My 2 cents worth is only worth 1/2 my wife says though.

I'd go with the idea of dropping the DeSoto motor in if it's pretty much just a " plug & play " swap...

I agree with everyone on picking up the motor.... however, with the above being said, talk with Don C about the plug n play... the Desoto engines are 25" as opposed to the dodge 23.25" engines in the states.... just to make sure the swap goes easy enough.... and you may have a couple of mods because of it (it isn't a Canadian engine... otherwise the swap would be direct... 25" to 25"....) other than that... what're yu waiting for to grab it.... my rebuild is at over a grand including parts to date, and I'm not finished.... $200 is a good deal, even if it isn't completely done.... (in my opinion).

Allan

Thanks everyone for your advice. :)

The person went to a Mariners game today, so I get to wait. :confused:

I decided as long as it is not a boat anchor I will buy it. Even if I don't install it in my Plymouth, you never know what is around the corner. Plus a person can not have enough flat heads laying around. I also told myself I was not going to get carried away with this project. :rolleyes:

Yea right! Maybe I can trade it for a ?????

This person lives in Woodland Washington, about 25 miles north of Portland.

Ed.

It is possible to shoehorn a Desoto engine into a Plymouth but it is not exactly a bolt in. Least it was not a bolt in for me. If I did it again I would find a 265 CI Crashler big block and squeaze all the possible ponies out of it. But two bills is a good price for a fresh 251 if it is indeed fresh.

Canadian Plymouths all came with the long block engine. Different radiator support which moved the rad forward certainly was one difference and I assume the holes for the front engine mount were further forward also. In the Plymouths the 218 CID was used but it had a different bore and stroke compared to the US engines. Nice thing is you can drop in any big block engine without making any modifications. I am running a 251 from a 3 ton grain truck in my Dodge D25 (same body as Plymouth) and it was a simple drop in.