Carter B&B Carburetor-Starting issues

cerick305
Go to solution Solved by Dozerman51,

Congrats on getting the engine running smooth.

When I was 16 with my first Mopar (it was green too) I was troubleshooting for hard starting. I was pulling spark plug wires to listen for a dead cylinder while it was running. I dropped a spark plug wire. It landed on something and it was arcing onto the frame somehow. I got a jolt and I jumped back from leaning over the fender. Skimmed the back of my head on the open hood. In a mad dash I grabbed the chrome door handle to open it, so I could shut off the car. Ouch! Another dang good jolt! I stood back rubbing my head wound wondering what to do next. I needed to shut off the engine. How long would it idle I pondered, before it ran out of gas? I couldn't touch the bugger!  I remembered that wood was non-conductive. I grabbed a broom. The driver window was down. I reached in with the long broom handle and was able to reach the ignition, I tapped the ignition switch, twisting it to the off position.

Some stuff you never forget. Never again would I pull spark plug leads from a running engine.

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like you have it pretty much  straightened out.  That stray jolt you got from the ignition system is an indication of a leaky ignition circuit.  Check all your high voltage wire connections form the coil to the distributor and then from the distributor to each of your spark plugs.  If the plug wires seem dried out and cracked that could be the leakage point.  Replace them.  Also, look for dust,dirt , grease around the distributor cap terminals. Regards.

another way to see if you plug wires are leaking is to start the car when it is dark outside or in your garage but have all the garage lights turned off.  Open the hood and then without any lights on if you see any blue flashes around the plug wires then  they are leaking and it is time to replace them.

If you ever need to pull a plug wire when the car is running you will need to purchase a sparkplug wire puller at any good auto supply store.  They are covered so you will not get a shock.

Gals all went well with you.

Also get a NOS distributo cap, points, condenser and rotor  it is good to have these in the car with you as a spare. These are items that you can not ususally just walk into an autozone when on the road if they go bad.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

6 hours ago, Jerry Roberts said:

Congratulations on getting it running smoothly . I would be shopping for a NOS Autolite set of points on ebay .  If you post your distributor number I can look up the Autolite part number for the points . And a little distributor cam lube is needed . 

Distributor Part no. 1120566 auto-lite number from plate IGS-4207-1

solar spar part no. 1120522

10 minutes ago, cerick305 said:

Distributor Part no. 1120566 auto-lite number from plate IGS-4207-1

solar spar part no. 1120522

Based on your distributor number her is what you need from Autolite:

Cap: IGC1107S

Rotor: IGS1016B

Contact Set: IGP3028ES

Condensor IG3927G

Breaker Plate Assembly IGS 3004

This was taken from my Autolite Catalog  I have sent you a Private message

Rich HArtung

Rich it would be nice to have that distributor and parts info in the resources section.  I think there a lot of folks who don't know about the different dist numbers and what it means when ordering dist tune up parts. A spread sheet on the various dist bodies and their dedicated internals would be more helpful that the standard year, make and model querey. My 46 manual lists the following numbers for 46 through 50 Plymouth cars, probably others across the

brands and applications.

IAT 4003

IAP 4103 A 1

IGS 4207 B 1

AP 4101 A 1

Edited by greg g