front vent

thebelvedereman

I'm sure its been asked a million times, my vent seams to be frozen, the lever arm assembly is off (I'm guessing because former owner had dash out) anyway I can lift it up and down but definitely hard and seems to be bending surrounding, my question is I looked under dash and it has 2 supports that bolt to door and surround, they are each made of two pieces and have screws at both ends but also have two screws in the middle, are they both supposed to be there or only one, like a pivot, or does it just pivot on the surround part, its hard to tell laying on my back with my head stuffed under the dash, I shot the whole thing full of pb blaster today

Edited by thebelvedereman

the penetrant may work but don't hold your breath and for sure limit the opening tries as you may eventually break the spot weld and the catch plate separate from the cowl panel  then you got real problems....I found that on most a heating to cherry red with the torch busts the rust the best with two heat cycles working best.....if your car is already finish painted, might be an issue with the heat..

Mine were frozen so I had to get in there with a grinder and grind off the heads to get it apart.  Drilled out the screws and retaped them for new screws.

the two screws on each side  you see from the screen are NOT the ones that pivot...they are beneath the dash..take out the radio speaker grill, you may have to drop the wiper motor then you have clear access to heat the to pivot screw  (one left and one right)

for the record..the screws through the slot in the screen do not come all the way out but only loosen..they are split set from the factory...you can removed the lid and screen easily and may give you more room...if not room...available light to see with..

unless someone just buggered you four screw heads and that necessitated drilling them out,  the vent screen and lid comes off easily by just slackening the screw heads back a bit..the screws are split once put in place and spread open..taking them out fully without difficulties would be an adventure and then could easily become a misadventure...I have removed them in the past due to distorted screwdriver slots on the heads and gone back with stainless...

I had one or more vent screws break and removal became easy. Turned out there was enough of the screw thread extending through the hinge to get a grip with pliers (channel lock). Turned the screw so as to remove it out the back of the hinge rather than the front of the hinge. This way the end where the head of the screw was is screwed through the hinge with little trouble.

On 9/1/2016 at 7:04 PM, bobostski said:

Is the cowl vent screen painted body color or black? My 49 Windsor's screen is body color but it had a repaint long before I got it.

49 at autorama.jpg

It is body color.