Defunct dealerships?

busycoupe

Does anyone know of a source of information about closed dealerships? The info I got from Chrysler historical said that my car was shipped to Fay Motors in Beverly, Massachusetts in July 1948. I found a reference to a Fay Motors in Beverly on a Studebaker website. Apparently they sold Studebaker as well as Dodge. Is there any list of old Mopar dealers? It would be fun to find pictures.

Dave

Library local to the area of the old dealership should have copies of the papers they probably advertised in which might have some photos. And the library should have a copy of the business directory for each year which should give the addresses of the dealer.

In my case, I've been unable to get copies of the local paper over the Internet but did find a business directory which had an address.

It seems Lang Motors became Stebbins Motors in 1934, but we could find no pictures of the building under either name. You are correct in that the current building certainly looks like it would have been an auto dealership from that period.

Currently, the building is the home of Lorraine's Food Factory. Her website seems to be down at the moment, but you might want to give her a call and see if she has any historical photos of her building:

777 Culver Rd  Rochester, NY 14609
(585) 442-6574

Local History and Genealogy Division/RS
Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County
585-428-8370

To reply please use the Ask-A-Librarian button on www.libraryweb.org
Genealogy volunteers are available 10-4 Saturdays.

Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 8:50 PM
To: inforef@libraryweb.org
Subject: Looking for a 1930s photo of Lang Motors on Culver Road in Rochester

Hi,

Chrysler records indicated that my 1933 Plymouth was shipped from the factory to Lang Motors in Rochester, NY. In a 1934 Rochester city directory I see that Lang Motors was located at 775 Culver Road. See: http://www.libraryweb.org/rochcitydir/images/1934/1934busdir.pdf

I am hoping to find and get a copy of a photograph of the Lang Motors dealership from the early to mid 1930s with one from 1933 being ideal. So far my attempts to find such a photo on the Internet have been unsuccessful.

Can you suggest the best place to find such an photo?

Thanks!
Tod Fitch

p.s. Based on Google maps street view, I suspect the building currently at 775 Culver Road could be the actual building. The architectural style looks to be from the 1920s to me.

Here is the street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1591276,-77.5665731,3a,75y,252.86h,85.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0cYcTQPqr9UOAGx-csbP7w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Like 1

Google the local newspaper, you might find something.

I was able to find a video that included a scene of the dealership that sold my 1940 Plymouth new in Utica, NY.  These are some stills from that movie clip

Drove right by there Thursday.   Traveling from the court house headed to Harbor Freight :)

Edited by shel_ny
  • Like 1

shel,

It is my understanding that that dealership is out of business, what is the building used for now?

If you drive by it again, sure would like to see a current photo of it if possible

Thanks,

Bob

I believe I have located some good views of the site on google earth. As a reference point to help in the search there is a Fisher auto parts at 327 Layafette St. . 324 would have been very close to that on the opposite side. That area is now the location of a Utica PD vehicle maintenance facility, and just back from that is the Utica Police Department building.  The Layafette end of the 2 properties are both parking lots, so all the dealership  buildings have been torn down. Neat thing is that when I went around to the view of the other end of the maintenance building from "street view" on Oriskany St. I can see what appears to be a white 40's vintage PD vehicle sitting like a showroom window display. I may have to venture closer to give it a look. It appears that I can park in the side lot and walk around to the front.

• Like 1

The Utica PD have a 1940 Plymouth Police car on display.  I have tried to contact them numerous times but never got a reply..  agian if you drive by there again, sure would love some recent photos

Thanks so much for taking time to respond.

Bob

Will be in the area several times in the next few weeks. Jury duty will place me a few blocks from there.  I wasn't sure what the car was, but that is the one that I saw on Google earth. I will see what I can do about pics, but as I said all the buildings on Layafette St are gone. Don't like leaving a camera in my truck. Not sure how picky they are about going into the jury room with a camera :)  Grand jury, not trial, so probably not an issue.

Plymouth pictures are not great. Window reflections were a problem.

1) Front window of the maintenance facility.

2) Rear view of the facility with the parking lot where the dealership was located on Layafette St.. PD building on the far right.

3)  Rear view of Maintenance facility, and PD building located in the center of the pic. Looking to the northeast these two parking lots should have encompassed the entire dealership.

4) Front view. Hard to see black hood. The rest is white.

5) Side view

6) View from Oriskany St. while passing by.

I may try to give this another shot with some gloom to reduce reflections.

Not sure if the would allow me to access the building.

post-80-0-89216900-1468453609_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-47209300-1468453755_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-91922600-1468453900_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-46629900-1468454152_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-16866700-1468454415_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-90874800-1468454920_thumb.jpg

• Like 3