Custom Uprights and Kingpin Questions - 1950 Plymouth Coupe

marcello7x

So I typically keep quiet and search for the answers i need, but I'm not finding it this time around. I originally planned on Fatman Dropped uprights, but reading that they are .5-.75 to high from laying frame[with bags] i decided to make my own. Not to mention cost savings and the fact that almost every other inch of the car is being hand fabricated. 

First question is what is the correct size of the kingpins for my 1950 plymouth club coupe. I don't want to pull the current ones out until I'm ready for final mockup with new parts prior to frame painting.

Since i've read there are different size pins, would I be correct to assume the boss on the uprights would vary as well? I plan to purchase a spare set up uprights to cut the bosses off of. I see a few on fleabay at the moment but If someone has spare ones for sale feel free to PM me.

How it sits aired out. Don't mind the mess or non-DOT air fittings, I would never consider driving with those. I have already had cheaper DOT fittings blow out on a daily driver.

IMAG1619_zpsjntjuyqf.jpg

Edited by marcello7x

"First question is what is the correct size of the kingpins for my 1950 plymouth club coupe. I don't want to pull the current ones out until I'm ready for final mockup with new parts prior to frame painting."

Since you are going to buy them new anyhow,why not go ahead and buy them now,and then build around them? Nothing works quite as well as having the actual part in your hand you are going to use as you start visualizing and setting things up.

"First question is what is the correct size of the kingpins for my 1950 plymouth club coupe. I don't want to pull the current ones out until I'm ready for final mockup with new parts prior to frame painting."

Since you are going to buy them new anyhow,why not go ahead and buy them now,and then build around them? Nothing works quite as well as having the actual part in your hand you are going to use as you start visualizing and setting things up.

IF multiple sizes are available, how do I know which size is appropriate for my current suspension components?  The info i did find refereed to diameter differences in trucks, changing mid to late year in 1950.  Were the multiple diameters only something that occurred on the truck suspensions?

I have never found any variations in passenger car kingpin service kits 46 to 54  .

The only difference in design I have found is that Canadian cars have a needle bearing upper bushing possibly due to

the slightly heavier engine.   Trucks are quite another matter.

I have never found any variations in passenger car kingpin service kits 46 to 54  .

The only difference in design I have found is that Canadian cars have a needle bearing upper bushing possibly due to

Excellent! Exactly what I needed to know!

I'm not too concerned. Most of that info is 7 years old. I'm prepared to do what I have to to make them work. I already have the rack and pinion swap done as well as the disc brake conversion. We'll see how it goes, all part of hot rodding

Be careful.

This is not exactly correct.  There were a very few Plymouth and Dodge special order long wheelbase cars.  These cars used the same suspensions, different frames, as the long wheelbase 6 cylinder Desoto's and 8 cylinder Chryslers of which many were made.

Those cars used a much stronger suspension.  The front king pins, spindles, control arms, and everything else is much larger and does not interchange.

I know this as I own both a '47 Long wheel Base Desoto and a true '49 convertible. 

James

James is correct........I was referring to the "standard" wheelbase passenger cars, sedans, coupes, converts, woodies.......not the Chrysler/Desoto based cars and the pickups...Andy Douglas

Please post more  pics of your air bag build. That kind of stuff isn't posted here much & I find it interesting. I'd like to bag my car some day. Thanks

• Like 1