Gettysburg Motors, PA - Chrysler Plymouth Dealer - Then and Now

Robin (UK)

I recently found a period picture of Gettysburg Motors, from where my Plymouth was sold new, on 3rd September 1947.

I'd love to try to get more information, or pictures of the dealership, or even some dealer giveaways or memorabilia, so if anyone's in the area and may be able to help, please let me know.

Here's the picture from early 1949. and a shot of how the building looks today... it's home to Schmuck Lumber Co...

gettysburg%20motors%201949.jpg

Gettysburg%20Motors%20Schmuck%20Lumber%2

Ditto, cool pictures.  I was in Gettysburg on business a few years ago and ran past there one morning.  Couldn't help but notice "Schmuck" lumber company, (for those wondering, that is what it is indeed called), pretty neat to know that was the Chrysler Plymouth dealer.  Thanks for posting, next time I'm in the area (I'm in that area at least once a year) I'll be sure to check the antique shops for anything from there.  Its a long shot that they'll have anything, but I love to go "junking", especially with particular items in mind.  Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

Ditto, cool pictures.  I was in Gettysburg on business a few years ago and ran past there one morning.  Couldn't help but notice "Schmuck" lumber company, (for those wondering, that is what it is indeed called), pretty neat to know that was the Chrysler Plymouth dealer.  Thanks for posting, next time I'm in the area (I'm in that area at least once a year) I'll be sure to check the antique shops for anything from there.  Its a long shot that they'll have anything, but I love to go "junking", especially with particular items in mind.  Merry Christmas.

Thanks Dan,

I love history, so I'm going to have to add Gettysburg to my bucket list and make the trip to visit the building and the great historical sites in the area.

It'd be great if you'll be my 'eyes' in the antique shops in the meantime.

Thank you.

Robin

I've discovered that the dealership was owned by Glenn C Bream, who died in an air crash in 1955, returning from the races at Indianapolis in his private aircraft.

There was also an Oldsmobile Cadillac dealership in Gettysburg, called Glenn L Bream. So it looks like cars were a family business.

The location in your picture had its grand opening  October 16, 1948.  Newspaper says opening of new location.  Perhaps a relocation of the business.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/46851808/

Thanks Greg,

It looks like I'll need to do a bit more research to confirm the exact location of my car's sale, as the delivery date was approx a year ahead of this announcement.

EDIT...

Gettysburg Motors operated from Chambersburg St from 1940 onwards.

The lot on York St, in my photographs, is approx half a mile away.

This site was purchased in 1945 and used to expand the business. The quonset hut was the first building, erected in 1946.

EDIT 2...

I've now discovered that the address of Gettysburg Motor Sales was 204 Chambersburg St.

Again, it seems that the original building is still there.

It's now a hair salon.

204%20Chambersburg%20St%20ad%201941.jpg

204%20Chambersburg%20St%202015.png

Edited by Robin (UK)