p15 air filter

blue p15

• 2 months later...

Does that filter seal against those reinforcing ridges in the top piece? I have the same oil bath and my concern is will it seal over those ridges. I should if the filter has soft enough and deep enough end caps. Plan to do this mod but rather it not leak dirt past the filter.

Thanks,

Earl

Found my issues with my car stumbling off idle and surging at cruise. The oil bath element was plugged. I drove the Car without the oil bath and it ran so much better it was unreal. After 3 buckets of soaking and sloshing, it was still making the degreaser dark. Than I started getting hairs and stuff coming out the carb side of the element. Well I don't want that going in my engine so I'm not going to use it anymore. So I'm converting it to a paper filter. That should explain my post above.

Earl

Thanks guys. I thought about using a plate but wasn't sure if there would be room. Also thought about using foam tape or sealer. That makes me more confident in cutting up my oil bath.

I ordered the napa/wix 46184 filter Norm and some others used that have the same oil bath. It will be here today. Wanted to see how it fits and seals to the base before I hack the top up.

I will see if that fram crosses to the 46184.

Thanks,

Earl

When I converted the air filter in my truck I cut a sheet metal donut and glued it into the bottom with RTV silicone to make a flat surface.

P1140191.jpg

The paper element I found fit and sealed against the top cover. But since it was slightly domed it would deform the filter element.

P1140192.jpg

A few years later I found a K&N filter element that fit better. It was a little shorter so I made a top plate to seal the top of the filter. The cover then covers it all.

00C0CBD1-5468-4016-B6C0-045A9BC4D8C3_zps

08B2625F-452C-408A-8E38-A184700FDE58_zps

• Like 1

Earl, that's a power steering hose in the photo of my air cleaner. Long story.

ze final installation (4).JPG

pump install (7).JPG

Cool. Would love to have power steering on my car. I'm slowly learning how to steer ahead of time so I don't find myself trying to turn the steering while sitting still. Born and raised on power steering has made me manual steering stupid lol I love my manual brakes, not so much the manual steering!

Earl

Got my oil bath gutted and converted over to paper element. Man does the car have power now! No more hiccup off idle when launching.

I used a Detroit 60 series water pump backing plate (plastic) as a lid on the element and to center the filter. The plate has tabs that fit perfectly to the air filter. The base stud was too short with the plate, so I had to extend the stud using a extending nut and a short piece of stud. I also used a rubber washer to seal the stud.

Earl