My shaper

austinsailor

I mentioned in another post that the motor on my shaper crapped out.

Well, got that antique thing off and apart - 200 lbs of monster 3 hp motor from 30's or 40's - and found my biggest problem was mice! Mouse nests, mouse crap, and a couple petrified mice. I guess I need many more traps.

I figured the brushes and maybe the armature were shot, but once they were all cleaned up and the junk out, it works just fine. A good cleaning of the crap (litterly), refacing the armature and seating the brushes - It's great.

You might enjoy the story of this thing. It was orginally in the Ford prototype shop in Dearborn. A couple guys in Canton, Ohio bought it to make some sort of sport bicycle parts 15 or so years ago and used it until the guys in china saw the market and took away the business. They put it on Ebay, I think it closed at $112.  Probably well below scrap price. Problem was, It was in Canton Ohio, I was in central Missouri. My wife was in Texas and knew nothing about it when my dad and I took off one morning to get it. Left about 5 am, got to Canton late afternoon. Put it on the trailer, turned around and headed back.

Now, I make a trip now and then and wives don't need to be worried, so I often don't mention it. Usually she never knows. But, I figured she'd hear about it so I decided I'd let her know instead of her hearing from others. After all, with Dad going it wasn't exactly a secret. I'd talked to her several times but she never asked that important question, "Where are you?".

Now, being an emergency room nurse, she hates small airplanes. Seen too many bodies show up at her door, I guess. Dad and I both have pilots licenses, so I called her up and said, as I often do, "Guess where I am?".  Of course, she knew right off, as usual, she had no idea. So I told her, "Canton, Ohio".  "What in the world are you doing there?"  

I told her we were trying to decide who was going to drive back and who would fly back. "WHAT!?" "Oh, we bought this airplane and one of us has to fly it back. " After a bit when she calmed down , I told her we were kidding, we just drove up and got a piece of equipment I bought.  Compared to an airplane, that was as good of news as she'd gotten in some time.  

She's never complained about me having it!

post-459-0-31481200-1421008586_thumb.jpg

Edited by austinsailor
  • Like 1

Gene, that is the way to do it...if you see it..you like it, you want it,,,then by all means go get it....full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes as they say.  Glad you saved the motor...I bet I am a bit familiar with that shaper to some degree...the one at the old naval complex I used to work had one dating to that era...man was that thing a work horse...I still remember Fred when he got mad would chuck up a big hunk of metal and take the largest cuts he could as it would shake the foundation...just below the shaper was the office of the production branch manager....I was on the other end of the building and another flight upstairs and could hear when he got miffed...

• Like 1

Was this in a HS shop that closed there?  I saw one advertised up in Canton a few months ago.  - I'm just about an hour south of there.  If I had a place to put it, I might have been interested, too, but I was more interested in the metal lathe that was also selling at the same place.

Was this in a HS shop that closed there?  I saw one advertised up in Canton a few months ago.  - I'm just about an hour south of there.  If I had a place to put it, I might have been interested, too, but I was more interested in the metal lathe that was also selling at the same place.

No, I've had it for 10 or 12 years. They had it in an old bus garage sort of downtown. I got it out like a day before they were to tear the building down. They had pictures of it being taken out of a house basement, quite a chore. Those guys (2 owners before) bought it as some sort of sale at Ford.

And yes, it will take quite a bite!

Eneto-55, on 12 Jan 2015 - 5:32 PM, said:

Hour south of Canton, where are you?