Dead in the water

addes426

You'll grow to love the high side bed if you ever see a low side truck in real life.

I resemble that remark, but it just shows how much rarer and more valuable those low side trucks equipped with the factory rear bumpers are. I know that's how the Navy ordered them in Don Bunns book page 50 so that's good enough for me..

OriginalBumper_zpsbcb93b2b.jpg   
Hank  :mad:
Edited by HanksB3B

"...he said only the 6 1/2' beds got the new fenders early on. Per him, the 7 1/2' and 9' got the old fenders till production allowed differently.."

Interesting statement. Wonder if its true. I've never heard this before and might try and see what I can find. The other possibilty about our trucks (48-53) that I haven't been able to find an answer to, is the length of the round fenders in 1948. Story goes from a member (I think JBNeal ?) that the fender length got longer by the end of the year, due to the problem of mud, etc...being kicked by the tires to the traffic at the rear. Whatever the case...I always find these things fun, and interesting. ^_^

48D    

I resemble that remark, but it just shows how much rarer and more valuable those low side trucks equipped with the factory rear bumpers are. I know that's how the Navy ordered them in Don Bunns book page 50 so that's good enough for me.. 
Hank  :mad:

lol....Everyone loves your truck Hank! :lol:

48D

The other possibilty about our trucks (48-53) that I haven't been able to find an answer to, is the length of the round fenders in 1948. Story goes from a member (I think JBNeal ?) that the fender length got longer by the end of the year, due to the problem of mud, etc...being kicked by the tires to the traffic at the rear. Whatever the case...I always find these things fun, and interesting. ^_^

48D    

I think it may have been Reg Evans that pointed that out to me. My 51 has the shorter 50's rear fender because the PO cut my running boards, threw my fenders out and added a square toolbox at either end of the box, then threw a piece of sheetmatal between the for and aft toolbox to make a fender. I actually prefer the shorter fender and think it makes the truck look sporty.

Hank  :)

lol....Everyone loves your truck Hank!  :lol:

48D

Thanks Tim now I feel much better,

Edited by HanksB3B

Not to go off topic, but I always believed it was the owners cutting the fenders down (up) to the truck bed. It explained the random find of long and short fenders. But if the factory did make them longer mid-run or otherwise...I can't find proof of it.  

So to me the idea that 53 saw some round fenders due to the change over to square, adds to the story of round fenders. If you look at addes426's picture of his potential truck, it has long fenders. Not that it proves anything, other than that's what long fenders look like. lol.

48D

Not to go off topic, but I always believed it was the owners cutting the fenders down (up) to the truck bed. It explained the random find of long and short fenders. But if the factory did make them longer mid-run or otherwise...I can't find proof of it.  

I thought for sure the PO had chopped them till I looked very carefully and saw that the stamped rear edge of the short fenders matched the longer fenders exactly.

Hank ;)  

I actually like your low side Hank. The ones I've seen in real life were beat to pieces, to the point I'd consider them, at best, parts junkers. Even the one at the cruise nights with the obligatory Ford 9" and 350/350 General Mistake Corporation engine/slushomatic combo. And "booger" or "bubble gum" welding... everywhere.

I'll freely and openly admit that my 49 high side would make a better flower bed than it would a truck, for now...

Edited by Scruffy49

"...he said only the 6 1/2' beds got the new fenders early on. Per him, the 7 1/2' and 9' got the old fenders till production allowed differently.."

Interesting statement. Wonder if its true. I've never heard this before and might try and see what I can find. The other possibilty about our trucks (48-53) that I haven't been able to find an answer to, is the length of the round fenders in 1948. Story goes from a member (I think JBNeal ?) that the fender length got longer by the end of the year, due to the problem of mud, etc...being kicked by the tires to the traffic at the rear. Whatever the case...I always find these things fun, and interesting. ^_^

48D    

I have an NOS fender from the early PH era, and it IS different than the later years.  I'll try and snap a pic of them side by side soon and post it.

it wasn't that uncommon for manufacturers to continue a body design on the heavier and longer beds of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups for a  longer period of time than the  popular 1/2 tons.  Ford , for example, in the same time period as our Pilothouses retained the patterned sides on the 3/4 and 1 ton and had flat sides on all their 1/2 tons, using up their surplus stampings.  1 tons were also wider beds and had a noticeable inner fender well stamped into the sides, same as Dodge.

I actually like your low side Hank. The ones I've seen in real life were beat to pieces, to the point I'd consider them, at best, parts junkers. Even the one at the cruise nights with the obligatory Ford 9" and 350/350 General Mistake Corporation engine/slushomatic combo. And "booger" or "bubble gum" welding... everywhere.

I'll freely and openly admit that my 49 high side would make a better flower bed than it would a truck, for now...

Thanks Scruffy. I also like the high side as well especially the stamped pattern and surprised to learn that they are still being reproduced. I can't find the link or remember the company name but they sure looked like the real deal.

it wasn't that uncommon for manufacturers to continue a body design on the heavier and longer beds of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups for a  longer period of time than the  popular 1/2 tons.  Ford , for example, in the same time period as our Pilothouses retained the patterned sides on the 3/4 and 1 ton and had flat sides on all their 1/2 tons, using up their surplus stampings.  1 tons were also wider beds and had a noticeable inner fender well stamped into the sides, same as Dodge.

This brings up an interesting observation. The truck in the pic I attached has noticeably narrow rear fenders. This might indicate the truck is a 3/4 ton and has a wider bed. ( I don't have the VIN for verification) Or, some joker switched beds. I feel a brain cramp coming on. 

additional information - rear fender comparison

additional information - rear fender part number change

For the B-4 and later models up into the 70s, the 1-ton stepsides had two rear fenders:  the styled fenders used on single wheel 1-tons, and the half-rounds with extensions used on duallies.  I have seen the duallie step sides used on rural & small town fire trucks, but they are quite rare.

As for the modified bed, who knows for sure what all changes were made to that beast, as its powertrain & suspension are far from original.  My guess is that tailgate & bulkhead were yanked off a newer (wider) truck at a pick&pull yard and bolted to the older bedsides, with the bed supports & fenders modified to fit.

Edited by JBNeal
revised info

This brings up an interesting observation. The truck in the pic I attached has noticeably narrow rear fenders. This might indicate the truck is a 3/4 ton and has a wider bed. ( I don't have the VIN for verification) Or, some joker switched beds. I feel a brain cramp coming on. 

I think Brian is probably correct. I have a factory 3/4 ton wide bed and my fenders are much wider than the ones in the photo. Somebody has put that bed together from the mix and match bin.

Jeff