Dead in the water

addes426

Hi folks, I posted in the car section first because I was lost. I'm new to this site but not to Mopar. I couldn't find an intro section so I thought I'd dive in. I'm in WV and am looking at a trade where I'd end up with a Texas 46 1/2 ton truck with a flathead 6 and 4 spd. I kinda want to keep the 6 and just sweeten it up some, at least for now. I was directed to this site as a good resource. It looks to be just that. If the trade goes through, you'll see a lot of me, if not, I'll still poke around. I'm enjoying the site and all the good info. 

Welcome.  That's a good solid looking truck.  Hope you end up with it and join the MoPar madness.  Mike

The truck has minor rust. (rot) It has new brakes, an 8 3/4 rear, new tires, new glass, seat has been re-upholstered, has a pair of fiberglass rear fenders, new oak bed floor, (though it has set in the weather and is stained up) and it starts, runs, and drives. The car I'm trading is a 64 Dodge Polara I bought 12 yrs ago to build a max wedge clone from. All I ever got around to, was buying parts. Now I've lost interest in it and I'm wanting another truck. This might just do nicely. Here's the 64, http://www.flickr.com/photos/75992550@N04/sets/

Welcome and what an awesome truck, looking forward to see what you do with it. If it was mine id make it road worthy, safe, keep the patina, and drive the hell out of it. I love those pre-pilothouse era trucks a lot. Im always on the look out for them over here in the north east but when i find one they are usually really far gone or the owner thinks its made of gold and wants WAY to much for it. 

-Chris 

Hi  and welcome fellow mountaineer.

Where in WV?

I'm in Fairmont WV. I look forward to seeing more of the truck if the deal goes thru.

My address is Friendly but I'm in Arvilla. Think 1/2 way between Parkersburg and Wheeling, right near the OH river.

Welcome and what an awesome truck, looking forward to see what you do with it. If it was mine id make it road worthy, safe, keep the patina, and drive the hell out of it. I love those pre-pilothouse era trucks a lot. Im always on the look out for them over here in the north east but when i find one they are usually really far gone or the owner thinks its made of gold and wants WAY to much for it. 

-Chris 

Well, funny you should mention where I'm going with it. I'm thinking get it running and driving reliable then maybe a Mercedes diesel transplant. That should be right down your road. Right now I need to concentrate on the trade, then comes the dreaming.

Well, funny you should mention where I'm going with it. I'm thinking get it running and driving reliable then maybe a Mercedes diesel transplant. That should be right down your road. Right now I need to concentrate on the trade, then comes the dreaming.

Did you day diesel swap!?!?!? Haha that would be so friggin' cool, I'd love to see that. My commuter car is a 98 Mercedes turbo diesel. I always thought of how cool it'd be to put one in an old dodge pick up. I'm a huge cummins fan so I had to go the 4bt route on my 52. I cant wait to see more on your truck, good luck.

-Chris

Did you day diesel swap!?!?!? Haha that would be so friggin' cool, I'd love to see that. My commuter car is a 98 Mercedes turbo diesel. I always thought of how cool it'd be to put one in an old dodge pick up. I'm a huge cummins fan so I had to go the 4bt route on my 52. I cant wait to see more on your truck, good luck.

-Chris

It's not mine yet. I read some of your thread, very cool! I figured the TD swap would work for you. If I get the truck, the swap would be down the road. I did find a complete motor tranny for $800, kinda near me too, here,   http://columbus.craigslist.org/pts/4268972157.html

Thanks for the compliment on my build. I keep forgetting the trucks not yours yet, whoops. I do hope you buy it though cause that things sweet.

That's not a bad deal for that Mercedes diesel, considerably cheaper than a 4bt. Especially since he says you can hear it run before buying.

-Chris

Well, I got an email from the truck owner this morning. He said he had sold the truck. This kinda sucks, kinda don't too though. I had several people interested in my car that I put on hold, now I have to go through that. The other side is that It wasn't what I really wanted. What I want is a 53ish truck. I just like the pilot house look. I guess I'm good.

Sorry to hear that one got away. Keep you eyes open, Lots of abandoned project still out there.

• Like 1

Well, I got an email from the truck owner this morning. He said he had sold the truck. This kinda sucks, kinda don't too though. I had several people interested in my car that I put on hold, now I have to go through that. The other side is that It wasn't what I really wanted. What I want is a 53ish truck. I just like the pilot house look. I guess I'm good.

Sorry to hear this deal fell through. You might want to have a moderator combine this thread with the original one to show closure. Otherwise folks will still think you bought this truck.

Honestly, this is the truck I want. It's for sale only. It has a Nova sub frame and trailing arm rear, and a 360/727 from a motor home. I like everything except the Chevy wheels and the tall bed, both fixable things. I just need to move my 64 on to a new home first. Tax returns coming up, that'll help. 

post-6625-0-58277700-1390156679_thumb.jpg

You'll grow to love the high side bed if you ever see a low side truck in real life. There is one that attends the same cruise night I take the C10 to. He wants my highside bed something fierce. I told him I'd sell him the fenders, maybe, since I want 39-47 rear fenders on my 49.The low side bed, while rare in most areas, really does look a bit like an afterthought. I've only ever seen 3 low side PH trucks in real life, and a few on this forum. If you don't want the high side bed, you should be able to jettison it to another site member fairly easily. You can buy 100% new lowside beds from Mar-K and Bruce Horkey, high side bed parts are hard to get your hands on.

Your pic says 54, but that is a 48-52 bed... in 53 Dodge went to the big rear fender used w/o change through 1985. 1956 and newer has flat bed rails, 48-55 high sides have angled bed rails.

Your wheels look fine as is, maybe paint the centers body color, leaving chrome rings and cap as is.

That has potential. Hope you can get your hands on it. Oh, if the wheels/bolt patterns match, odds are it has a 10 bolt GM rear axle... they bolt right in if Nova/Camaro/S10 sourced.

Edited by Scruffy49

You'll grow to love the high side bed if you ever see a low side truck in real life. There is one that attends the same cruise night I take the C10 to. He wants my highside bed something fierce. I told him I'd sell him the fenders, maybe, since I want 39-47 rear fenders on my 49.The low side bed, while rare in most areas, really does look a bit like an afterthought. I've only ever seen 3 low side PH trucks in real life, and a few on this forum. If you don't want the high side bed, you should be able to jettison it to another site member fairly easily. You can buy 100% new lowside beds from Mar-K and Bruce Horkey, high side bed parts are hard to get your hands on.

Your pic says 54, but that is a 48-52 bed... in 53 Dodge went to the big rear fender used w/o change through 1985. 1956 and newer has flat bed rails, 48-55 high sides have angled bed rails.

Your wheels look fine as is, maybe paint the centers body color, leaving chrome rings and cap as is.

That has potential. Hope you can get your hands on it. Oh, if the wheels/bolt patterns match, odds are it has a 10 bolt GM rear axle... they bolt right in if Nova/Camaro/S10 sourced.

I questioned the year of the truck too. The owner bought this truck from his brother in law and has known it a long time. His story goes like this. The truck is a 53 sold new in 54 and is titled as a 54. As for the fenders, he said only the 6 1/2' beds got the new fenders early on. Per him, the 7 1/2' and 9' got the old fenders till production allowed differently. I've seen Chrysler do crazier things so I bought it. It doesn't matter though, I like the early fenders just fine so I'm OK with it and it makes for a good story.

Oh, about the wheels. They look fine, I just would prefer that it didn't scream Chevrolet when it rolled in. I think too many people stick a 350/350 into anything with wheels. I wouldn't even be looking if he had done that. Just my 2 cents.

I questioned the year of the truck too. The owner bought this truck from his brother in law and has known it a long time. His story goes like this. The truck is a 53 sold new in 54 and is titled as a 54. As for the fenders, he said only the 6 1/2' beds got the new fenders early on. Per him, the 7 1/2' and 9' got the old fenders till production allowed differently. I've seen Chrysler do crazier things so I bought it. It doesn't matter though, I like the early fenders just fine so I'm OK with it and it makes for a good story.

The "tell" will be in the model and serial number. I'm betting it's a B-3-C, which would make the fenders correct. If you have the serial number, run it through here http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php