1949 Dodge 230 Mods

dctodd1313

i have a 1949 dodge 230 with 40k original miles that is going to go into a 1947 plymouth 2 dr sedan. I can only find mods for a 218 bored up to a 230 is there anything for a 230 bored up to? I know the basic stuff dual carbs , split manifold, mill the head but what else can i do to this 230? I am on the search for a 5 speed to put behind it.My metal work on th car is almost done so just trying to prep for next stage. Thanks for any help lads.

The 230 is only a stroked 218, except for crank and rods the two engines are the same.  Many people put the 230 crank and rods in their 218 to keep the engine number that goes with the original numbered engine for their car.  You can have the cam reground for more lift and increased torque but not RPMs.  Port match  the openings in the block and the intake manifold to the intake gasket.  I used stainless steel Chevrolet exhaust valves as they come in two diameters which closely fits the original intake and exhaust valve diameter, they are under cut and offer better flow characteristics than the stock valves.  You are after an increase in the torque output of these engines, not the RPMs as they are long stroke and should not be run at RPMs higher than 4000 for any extended time.

Seems if you can get pistons to make a 218 a 230, and if the two stock engines diff. by stroke only, that the same piston would make your 230 into something like 242-3 cu. in.  A cam and "pipes" sounds cool too. 

mine has +.030 pistons and is 235 cu in.  so stands to reason,+,060 would give you around 240.  It has been said that .090 of milling work (head and deck total) will bump your compression but still allow 87 octane to be used.With those changes you can crank in some additional initial timing and pick up some throttle response.  .  

What is your goal for your vehicle? Full out racer? Dependable driver with some bling? Show car? I do like the looks and dependablity of a jazzed up flattie but in the end it is still a flattie with 150 or so HP. You can gear your vehicle to run at freeway speed but dont expect great uphill passing capability. So once again what is your goal?

Thanks that's what I needed to know .I have 2 218's and 1 230.the 230 is in better shape.my goal is to be different in a sea of v8s.iknow it won't be a neck snapping race car. Just "a hey I haven't seen one of those in awhile" response when hood is open.

So you don't need to bore it out nor swap in a longer through crank as none of that is visible?

...You can have the cam reground for more lift and increased torque but not RPMs. ...

Sure you can. It's done every day.

Delta Cams in the northwest is a good place to get this done. They offer quality work for reasonable prices. I have one of their cams and reground tappets in my 58 Rambler,had one in a 53 Ford tractor I sold,and  have one in something else I can't remember right at this moment.

Delta mostly does stock grind replacement cams,but they will weld up and grind one to any specifications you want,from mild to all-out race,

Edited by knuckleharley

And, if putting a Dodge engine into a P15, you may know that the Plymouth flywheel uses only 5 of the bolt holes in the

end of the crankshaft.  You need to get just the right length bolt with nut and washer as the nut will have to go between

the flywheel and the block.  At least, that's how it was done on mine.  And you have to match up the holes used.  

todfitch i figured since the 230 is out of the car and has been sitting ,I freshen it up and help it breathe better. When guys ask "are you dropping a 350 in that thing ?" I say heck no ,keeping it traditional flathead 6. there response is usually hmm i havent seen one in awhile and those flatties dont die. I also am in a car club and they all have v8's and dont drive them much because of gas mileage. But a flathead 6 with a 5spd and proper gearing i'd drive it all the time. plus my dads  first car was a 49 plymouth coupe. i'm  paying homege to him and what he would have done when he was young. my feeling is you build a car up and then hide it in the garage doesnt make sense ,drive em don't hide em. thanks for your help. ill try to post a pic of the car,

knuckleharley, re-read my post about the cam.  Any increase in RPMs over 4000 on a long stroke engine will most likely go unused.

True,but increasing torque also increases hp. You can have custom grinds that increase both at low to mid-range,but fall on their faces if you try to really wind them out. The RV cams are like this. Designed to make power at lower RPM's.

And it all depends on what you want,how heavy your car is,and what the final drive ratio is. IIRC,the stock rear on my 42 Dodge has 4:30 gearing,so I won't be needing much torque unless I change gears. More horsepower and a overdrive might be nice,though.  I plan on dual 1brl carbs,3/4 cam,Edgy head,and split exhaust with glass packs. Nothing radical,but something that will cruise at modern highway speeds that has enough power to be a little fun.

Edited by knuckleharley

I'm running a 218 with dual carbs, exhaust.  Have the '52 R-10 BW Overdrive, which is very nice.  I swapped in a 3.55 rear end, which was a bit higher gear, but it loves to run 65-70 mph.  It doesn't fly past anyone, but once you get up to speed it runs right along.  On the interstate or highway in OD I am getting about 25 mpg.  My buddies with V8's and 350 turbo trans are stopping for gas while I still have a half a tank. 

I don't have any internal engine mods, running everything at pretty much stock.  I did convert to 12V negative and am running electronic ignition.  Runs great and fires up every time.

Edited by steveplym

I'm running a 218 with dual carbs, exhaust.  Have the '52 R-10 BW Overdrive, which is very nice.  I swapped in a 3.55 rear end, which was a bit higher gear, but it loves to run 65-70 mph.  It doesn't fly past anyone, but once you get up to speed it runs right along.  On the interstate or highway in OD I am getting about 25 mpg.  My buddies with V8's and 350 turbo trans are stopping for gas while I still have a half a tank. 

I don't have any internal engine mods, running everything at pretty much stock.  I did convert to 12V negative and am running electronic ignition.  Runs great and fires up every time.

Thanks for the report. Obviously I am more than a little bit curious about final drive ratios,overdrive trans,and miles per gallon.

Looks like I may have screwed up when I gave a 50 Plymouth 3-something rear to a friend yesterday.

• Like 1

If I may tap the knowledge pool here on a close subject. I just bought a 230 with a HY Drive out of a 1952 Savoy. Is there a difference between the block from a 3 speed and a Hy Drive trans? Looking to put it in my 48 dodge truck with a 42rh trans . Thanks for any help in advance . RJ

If I may tap the knowledge pool here on a close subject. I just bought a 230 with a HY Drive out of a 1952 Savoy. Is there a difference between the block from a 3 speed and a Hy Drive trans? Looking to put it in my 48 dodge truck with a 42rh trans . Thanks for any help in advance . RJ

The Plymouth hy-drive became available in April 1953. So a 52 Savoy would not have hy-drive. The hy-drive transmission was a one year only thing and the engine and transmission used common oil. So there is a difference in the engine block.

todfitch i figured since the 230 is out of the car and has been sitting ,I freshen it up and help it breathe better. When guys ask "are you dropping a 350 in that thing ?" I say heck no ,keeping it traditional flathead 6. there response is usually hmm i havent seen one in awhile and those flatties dont die. I also am in a car club and they all have v8's and dont drive them much because of gas mileage. But a flathead 6 with a 5spd and proper gearing i'd drive it all the time. plus my dads  first car was a 49 plymouth coupe. i'm  paying homege to him and what he would have done when he was young. my feeling is you build a car up and then hide it in the garage doesnt make sense ,drive em don't hide em. thanks for your help. ill try to post a pic of the car,

Your "drive em, don't hide em", would make a good saying on a t-shirt, or bumper sticker.

I see alot of very nice older cars in my area, but never at the saturday evening cruise-in, or even on the highways....

Maybe I got the year wrong but the owner said it shared the oil with the trans (11 quarts). I have a 218 block so maybe I'll swap the crank and rods to avoid any problems that might be in the oil system.