Oh Oh...no Bueno!

47heaven

Here are my observations. Others may not agree and that is OK by me. When I first built my engine I used my P-15 6 volt starter although my car has been converted to 12 volts. I have heard many times that use of a 6 volt starter on a 12 volt car is an old hot rod trick to spin the engine a bit faster. What I discovered was that yes it will spin the engine faster but also due to the starter motor spinning faster the bendix also engages faster and I did not like the defenitive clank I heard everytime I pushed the starter button. So I found and installed a 12 volt starter from a 56 Plymouth, The clank disappeared once I did this.

On a recent visit with another forum member I was treated to a ride in his P-15. As soon as he started the car I once again heard the clank. I then asked him if he had a 6 volt starter running on 12 volts and I was told he did.

Is this what caused the issue with 47heavens car? I dont know but I would not rule this out. And I suggest that before you do anything else that you drop the inspection plate and take a close look at the ring gear.

As far as I remember, Don, the starter was rebuilt four years ago and converted to 12 volt. Remember that my car is running a 1949 Dodge inline six 230 cid engine in it, now. I don't know if it's the starter is off that engine or it came off of the '55 Ply engine that was already in the car when I bought it. How interchangeable are these starters?

Don't remember where you ar from and this may be a ways away, but three years ago I had the occasion to visit this fellow and he had a bunch of NOS and Rebuilt old stock starters and generators, solenoids and regulators for cars from the 40's through the 70's on his shelves.  He also rebuilds items brought into him from a stock of older parts.  You might want to give him a call, about the possibility of a new piece or a rebuild of your item.

John Panos

Atlas

Electrical Rebuilders

1414 Brewerton Rd.

Syracuse, NY 13208

315 454 0196

Thanks, Greg. The only thing is that I'm running a 12v system now, and a lot of the guys on here have recommended not to run a 6v starter with a 12 volt system. There are some places around here that I'm going to take it to, today, and se what the charge would be.

Well, now I know why it won't turnover anymore.  @%&$!!!!!!!    :mad: :mad:   I only pray that the flywheel isn't in the same shape.

Looks to me like you have the wrong starter/bendix.flywheel combo. That ain't normal wear.

Looks to me like you have the wrong starter/bendix.flywheel combo. That ain't normal wear.

No, it isn't. It happened when I cranked the engine a few times after hooking the gas tank up, after the hadn't run for a year. It was starting fine before all of that. So could it sitting and not started for that period of time been something that could have attributed to this problem?

Will the engine turn now if you use a bar and socket on the harmonic balancer bolt and try to turn it. Hopefully it will. Good luck to you.

John R

John, as I mentioned before, the turns because it fired up when I put starter fluid down the carburetor, but would stop after the fuel was used up. So I know it turns over fine.

Three days later and what does the flywheel look like, surely you have inspected it by now....curious to know is all...

Sorry for the suspense. I work, and don't get home until it's almost dark. Gotta wait for the weekend.  :) 

John, as I mentioned before, the turns because it fired up when I put starter fluid down the carburetor, but would stop after the fuel was used up. So I know it turns over fine.

I understand that the engine was turning over at first but I was questioning as to whether the engine is still able to turn since the starter drive gears got stripped off. Where you stated that the starter began spinning freely I was wondering if the engine possibly stopped turning for some reason and caused this to occurr. Something got jammed up for sure. Good luck.

John R

Just kidding amigo.. I have 2 spots that can rebuild the starter and they can flip the gears on the fly wheel for you also.. I know some one on here will say dont flip the gear on the fly wheel its not safe buuuut ive been doing this for over 20 years and the shop has been doing this since the 50's . Let me know if you need a hand..