New Here. Daily Driver?

Dajudge

I took the stock frame and punched in an 85 Diplomat IFS crossmember and a 97 T-bird IRS. Boxed the whole thing went racing with a 500hp 408 stroker between the rails. Love the way it drives. I also took a 48 parts truck and built it into a BBQ....that sucker can cook! lol.

If you build something you're proud of....it doesn't matter what it looks like....the people that matter, will get it. :)

48D

• Like 2

post-5997-0-25284900-1366860341_thumb.jpgOk so the three trucks that we were looking at sold on Sunday I guess, ad disapeared.  But there was one much closer to us that the ad reappeared this morning for.  We went and took a look tonight.  Looks like I will be hanging around here more as we have keys and a title for it.  I hope to go with a trailer and get it Sunday.

Edited by Dajudge

Details? Looks an awful lot like a B1C-116 3/4 ton based on the roof truss spacing above the truck...

I believe it is a 3/4 ton. I just got home and looked at the title. The vin starts with a T. So I guess it has the 331 on it. What else is diff. Between the 3/4 and 1/4 ton. Just asking, haven't started reading yet.

3/4 ton is 5 on 5 inch wheel bolt spacing and has a longer wheelbase, 116" axle center to axle center. 1/2 ton is 5 on 4.5 inch bolt spacing and 108" from axle center to axle center. 16" wheels 1/2 ton, 15" wheels 3/4 ton.

Other than that, pretty much the same truck. If the box has mini tubs over the wheels, it's a 3/4 ton. 1 ton had a different style wheel entirely.

1950 would be a B2C-116 if 3/4 ton, B2B-108 if half ton. T331 sounds like an engine code, lot of these were registered under the engine number over the years.

Edited by Scruffy49

If the VIN on the Title starts with "T", then they used the engine number to register the truck rather than the chassis serial number. This seems to have been a common thing back then. It should be T172 _ _ _ _ _ _ for a 48-50 half or three quarter ton truck.

Merle

It is T142_ _ _ _ _.  At least that is what is on the title.  We are going to pick the truck up Sunday.

Here's my 52 shortly after I got it in '97. It had no engine or trans so I installed a 50 Chrysler 251 with a 4 speed synchro.

A year or so later I installed a 3.0 rear end from a '66 T-bird,painted it,and had a ladder rack made so I could carry materials to the job site.  I used it daily this way for about 10 years.

Now that Old Yeller and I have retired she looks like this. 

I can't seem to add a second photo under the first photo so they are out of order. Scroll to the bottom for the first photo and scroll back up as time progressed.  Can't find spell check either.  Not loving the new forum.

sidemountspare2.jpg

Oleyeller.jpgMVC-017F-1.jpg

Beautiful truck. Glad to hear the daily driver stories.

So we spent 7 hrs yesterday going to Godley, Tx to pick up the 49.  To our surprise it started up and pulled itself up onto the trailer.  Good start.  After I got it home I noticed there was no gas tank.  Probably not a bad plan to replace it anyway.  They had it running off a gallon gas can.  Pictures and video to follow.  Needless to say my daughter is thrilled.

I ran mine off a 2 gallon can at first. I had it mounted under the hood, then one day the truck backfired and I quickly concluded that I had just dodged a bullet and I relocated that can! I put a jerry can on the passenger running board and a line to the engine. Words great and I always have fresh fuel.

Here's the video of the old Dodge moving out of its hibernation.

And here it is loading itself onto the trailer.  Go to the 3 minute mark or so.  I will edit it later.

Edited by Dajudge

It won't have power steering so depending on her upper body strength steering while stopped will be difficult, but once it's rolling she would have no problems. This would make parking more difficult. Also, if its a 3 speed truck I wouldn't think much about it, but if it has a 4 speed she'll have to learn the art of the "double clutch".

A diff or complete rear axle upgrade for better highway gearing would be a good upgrade. But if you really want a good daily driver for her that will be easy to handle you may want to consider a Dakota front clip along with the Dakota drivetrain.

I have good intentions to give my truck to my oldest son when he turns 18 (he is 11 now).  He loves the perceived coolness factor of driving a classic truck, but in reality I think it will be a real task for him to drive comfortably.  Between the double clutching, no power steering, hand signaling he will have his hands full.  It has taken me several years to master the ability to do all this while holding a cup of coffee in my hand.  On the bright side- I think it will keep him from texting and driving.    

Edited by Mario Loya B1B

Your story sounds familiar Mario. I bought my 52 truck about 7 years ago with all intentions of working on it with my son and that eventually handing the keys over to him. He's 19 now and still doesn't care much for anything that doesn't involve video games. He's half way through his second year of a Science Degree, and I think he's a little annoyed at Uni getting in the way of his gaming. He has never really worked on the truck with me, but I am sure that he will enjoy it in years to come. I have the 55 truck to complete for my daughter one day (she's 14 at present) who is a lot keener than my son about the project.

Cool video getting that old truck of yours out of the shed dajudge. Sounds like it's missing an exhaust as well! Be sure to keep us updated on your process. Enjoy!!!

• 2 months later...

I ran mine off a 2 gallon can at first. I had it mounted under the hood, then one day the truck backfired and I quickly concluded that I had just dodged a bullet and I relocated that can! I put a jerry can on the passenger running board and a line to the engine. Words great and I always have fresh fuel.

I just saw this jerry can for the other running board of yours Paul... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RAMPAGE-TRAIL-CAN-UTILITY-TOOL-BOX-JERRY-CAN-UNIVERSAL-JEEP-TOYOTA-CHEVY-DODGE-/151007958574?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2328c6962e&_uhb=1 ... Pretty good idea for a hidden toolbox!