Site Offline 10/30/24 starting 9:30 AM PST ×

Tie Rods

grady hawkins

Tim Adams gave me a convincing lecture on the necessity of a service manual. I purchased the Plymouth service Manual for years 1946 - 1954 and have it on a speaker's stand and open all the time. In Section 1 "Front Suspension System, pages 7-13 the answers for your questions are shown and illustrated. This manual is on e-bay and worth much more than what it costs.

any capable alignment shop has this data on hand at all times...it is good to know the specs..but with todays aligment machines, they will give you a print out of the the before and after measurements..

And not bother to set it right or be incapable of setting it right if your suspension deviates from stock ride height. I've got a couple lowriders and there isn't a tire shop in my part of Dixie that can set the front ends right.

Both my cars have modified front ends, the Dodge has MOOG cast steel 41-56 upper arms, 2" lower coils & a rack & pinion and the Plymouth has a stock frontend with 1 coil cut to lower it 2" and both have always been straghtforward to get wheel alignments done........the specs relate to the overall frontend and any compentent shop should be able to accomodate what you have.

post-612-0-01788800-1362948775_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-27166400-1362948798_thumb.jpg

any capable alignment shop has this data on hand at all times...it is good to know the specs..but with todays aligment machines, they will give you a print out of the the before and after measurements..

It's good to take the specs with you. Most of the shops now rely on the computer for their information and the computer doesn't have have our old cars info. in them. Ask me how I know!

:rolleyes:

I think you need to find an old time front end man.......if there are any of those left around nowadays.

One alignment shop here used a torch to do something to the front end of a friend's pickup, which

messed it up and he had to spend like $1200 to get it fixed.......and the shop would not reimburse

him.  But.....they have one of the latest model, hoop-de-doo alignment machines there. 

In the past, our Goodyear Tire store had a good alignment man.  But you had to know that he was

there and be sure to get him.  These days, you would probably have to ask around at shops and

body shops to see who they use that they feel are good.   

And not bother to set it right or be incapable of setting it right if your suspension deviates from stock ride height. I've got a couple lowriders and there isn't a tire shop in my part of Dixie that can set the front ends right.

It's an inherant problem with cars of this nature.  The vehicle alignment can be set for a particular ride height and the owners change it constantly, altering the geometry when doing so.  It's not even known if the Ackermann is right either when non-factory components are used which will also scrub off tires.  Take a look at the camber on cars/trucks when they let the air out of the bags.  Vehicle has to maintain a consistant ride height to maintain alignment.

Cannot recomend a workshop manual highly enough and yep I do take mine when I get anything done, yep the shop should have the specs, but always good to "help" them..............lol.........andyd