Serial Number

SSD

Ok my wife got me the numbers off the door tag the serial number is 81195085 and the model # it has WC does that make sense? on another tag there was 4112-3292751 so what does all that say about my truck? Thanks in advance guys Oh and how can i tell if i have a 218 or 230?

Edited by SSD

According to Phil Street's Dodge truck serial number decoder at http://www.t137.com/registry/help/decode.php you have:

Serial Number  81195085
Year  1947
Make  Dodge
Model  WC
Engine  217.76 Flathead Six
Wheelbase  116
Rating  1/2 Ton
Engineering Code  T112
Plant  Detroit, Michigan
Build Number  22557

So it originally came with a 218. But that might have been swapped out.

Have the wife check the engine #. Just below the head on the drivers side. If its original it will say T112. If its been swapped as mine has it might start with an I P or D. For example my truck has a P23 from a 52 plymouth. No reason you can't put the T5 behind the 218 if thats what you have.

218 and 230 are the same block and same bellhousing, at least going off the 48 P15 218 in my truck and the D illegible 230 I got from a 56 or 57 Savoy.

If you have a 4 speed just change out the rear axle for something modern.

Search for the non-T5 swap, it might be on the car side. Uses a trans out of a square nose (pre-93) Ranger.

I've got a complete 92 Ranger parts junker that will be donating a bunch of parts to my Pilot House... rear axle, heater/ac unit, fuel tank (maybe), transmission (maybe), wiper motor (maybe), heat/ac and defroster ducting, seats and seat belts (both maybes)... patch panel steel, bulbs and sockets (maybe), wiring sections, climate controls, radio hanger assembly (maybe)... front brakes (maybe), master cylinder and brake booster, proportioning valve and rear mechanical abs (maybe)...

Use what is common and readily available. If you are going daily driver, unless you live in a small town in a rural area, stock won't cut it.

Have the wife check the engine #. Just below the head on the drivers side. If its original it will say T112. If its been swapped as mine has it might start with an I P or D. For example my truck has a P23 from a 52 plymouth. No reason you can't put the T5 behind the 218 if thats what you have.

this is what was on the side of the block below the head t223 i22 and its got a tag on the hood that says the crank was replaced 12/51

Edited by SSD

That looks to me like a p23 engine from a 51-52 plymouth just like whats in my truck. The rebuilder may have stamped the additional letter. Notice it doesn't seem to quite match the font of the other stamps.

so the only way to know is going to be to measure the stroke? I guess it really don't matter all the external parts (manifolds, dizzys, ect) are the same. What does this look like to you kinda looks like a 8 3/4 to me but I'm new to the old dodges 

post-5810-0-45808900-1362169133_thumb.jpg

The Older axles for these trucks do look similar to the 8 3/4 axles of the muscle car age. The fastest way for me to check, are the backing plates to the brakes. If you see two big bolt heads with the springs.....its not a late 60's style 8 3/4. Those axles will fit which is why I always remember to double check.  

48D