Timing question

lelshaddai

I have read many threads and looked at the manual. I am new to the timing issue. I have a 53 Plymouth 218. I am trying to time it properly. It idles at 500 rpm. I marked DTC with a white dot. Now the question. Is 2 degrees BDTC before or after the timing mark. I am new and just do not know. Right now the DTC mark is to the left of the timing cover mark about 2-3 degrees. The distrib is rotated full counter clockwise. If will not adjust anymore.

You can do a timing procedure with a vacuum gauge. There is another adjustable clamp on the bottom of the dist that may allow you some more adjustment if you need more.

Attach the vacuum gauge to the wiper port on the intake, and with the car at idle, move the distributoer to obtain the highest steady vacuum. this procedure will take into account the present condition of your engine and the stuff they sell us as fuel these days. If your idle change appreciably adjust it back to 500 rpm. If you find that this setting has a spark knock or ping under wot acceleration of climbng hills, just back of the dist a bit till it goes away.

Ok. If you are standing onthe driver side of the car and looking down past the generator the timing mark onthe dampener willbe rotating towards you or the engien spins colockwise.

So the Mark of 2 Degress before TDC will come into view before the TDC mark on the dampener. The marks after TDC will then be After TDC,

Hope this helps. Remember that the suggestion on timeing is a suggestion and you have to find where your car runs best by adjusting the dizzy to get the best running engine.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

I worked on the timing using the vacuum gauge . I had to go counterclockwise beyond the hole and to the other side to get the best vacuum reading. It was 17 in or 45 cm. Is this about correct? It seems to run OK but it hurumfs a bit at low idle. Also I am getting a lot of blow-by. Is this normal for this engine? A large white cloud when it sits. It gets into the cab. I took the thermostat out and the temp sits at 160-170 now. Instead of 220. Rad, front of block, back all within 5 degrees.

I tried to break free the hidden adjustment but I do not want to break it off.

Have you removed the distributor from the engine? It is very easy to loosten this adjustment bolt with the distributor removed. Are you turning it the right way? Remember it is upside down so righty tighty, lefty loosey is reversed.

I am afraid I am making things worse. It seems to run a bit rougher now. I Have not removed the distrib. Did not want to make things worse by not knowing how to do that. Right now I have many problems I am trying to solve. I may just get it close and drive it.

The engine sat a long time. I have replaced the water pump, plug wires, cap, rotor, changed oil 3 times in 2 months, new plugs, recored rad, new hoses with springs in them, new belt, cleaned fill cap, cleaned ventilation tube, new freeze plugs, flushed rad and engine, new lines to oil filter, rebuilt carb and fuel pump, new regulator,

Problems

1. Engine was running 220 on a 100 degree day. Removed thermostat and it runs 190 when it is 90 out. Rad, engine within 5 degrees of each other.

2. After trying to adjust timing have extreme amount of blow by out of ventilation tube and a little out of the oil fill.

3. Mix smells rich. After timing seems to make it run worse. Lost some top end speed. Harder starts

4. Looks like a fog behind me when at higher speeds.

5. So much smoke that it enters cab

I just do not know what to do. I fell I am just winging it and making things worse. I really do not want to rebuild at this time. That is why I say I may just drive it. Will it cause any damage if I run a tube from the ventilation tube out the back of the car to send the smoke out? Getting a bit frustrated.

I just read your post and it appears to me you may have more than one issue and that could be why your having poor luck. your description of a large white cloud while sitting makes me think you have a head gasket issue. Rule of thumb: blue exhaust means oil. black means gas (flooding) and white means coolant. I'm not an expert by any means just my 2Cents worth

Karl

I have read many threads and looked at the manual. I am new to the timing issue. I have a 53 Plymouth 218. I am trying to time it properly. It idles at 500 rpm. I marked DTC with a white dot. Now the question. Is 2 degrees BDTC before or after the timing mark. I am new and just do not know. Right now the DTC mark is to the left of the timing cover mark about 2-3 degrees. The distrib is rotated full counter clockwise. If will not adjust anymore.

Make sure you disconnect and PLUG the vacuum line to the Distubutor vacuum advance BEFORE making any timming adjustments. Must have no/none/ZERO vaccum at the advance. I never see this mentioned and I know guys are not doiing it to their FLH engines because it is a HARD LINE and not a rubber line so no one thinks it needs to be disconnected...but YES it does. Try that before moving the hard adjustment under the distibutor as COATNEY recommends.

I have not done a compression check yet. I can. How do I use my pressure vacuum gauge to do that? What kind of adapter do I need?

I suggest you find a vacuum tester such as pictured below. If you use a tester that screws into the spark plug hole use caution that the threaded insert does not make contact with the intake valve as damage can occur.

0008217103305_P255045_180X180.jpg

Make sure you disconnect and PLUG the vacuum line to the Distubutor vacuum advance BEFORE making any timming adjustments. Must have no/none/ZERO vaccum at the advance. I never see this mentioned and I know guys are not doiing it to their FLH engines because it is a HARD LINE and not a rubber line so no one thinks it needs to be disconnected...but YES it does. Try that before moving the hard adjustment under the distibutor as COATNEY recommends.

Not a Good point. ( EDIT! Not a good point about disconnecting the vacuum line made by FATFREDDIE. The information he suggested was not factual. The factual good point was made by Niel Hobac later in this thread.) However many cars do have a rubber line that attaches to the vacuum pot on the distributor. I originally had my vacuum line hard piped but I found that made the distributor difficult to turn (even with a loop in the tubing) and this also made it more difficult to remove the distributor from the engine. So I converted to a rubber hose.

ofp.jpg

MVC-003F-1.jpg

Edited by Don Coatney