Any particular Cherokee axle?

austinsailor

I'm considering the Cherokee axle idea for my 42 Plymouth 2 door. Are there any particular models I should be thinking about or are they all the same sizes? I'm certainly going to be using a disk brake version.

Anyone know of a chart on the web showing various options if any exist?

I did find that chart, but it said they all had drum brakes, so I'm not sure if it's accurate.

Another question. I've seen several I could buy cheap enough to remove the axle and part out to get my money back, but most have 250,000 or so miles on them. How many miles would you consider too many to use the axle? I don't hear of many differentials wearing out, so miles on it might not be a big issue if it's working good.

Thoughts?

In order to get a axle with disk brakes and the 3.73 ratio that I wanted, I had to look for a Grand Cheorkee. I found a 1997 on Craigs list for $100 which is basically a junk yard core charge. The pinion bearning was shot so I spent another $275 to get new bearings and seals.

I wouldn't worry about the mileage other than to look or feel if there is any wear on the internal yoke and pin. I do have pictures posted on this project on the Truck side.

The next phase of this project is the drive shaft which I have at a drive shaft shop right now. They are replacing both ends of the drive shaft to use modern U-Joints and a new slip yoke. I will have additional posts on that project when I finally get it back, all balanced and set to go.

The "too late" advice to me was to have all the new mounts welded on before you re-build the axle with bearings and seals. I didn't and on my initial drive, I noticed a seal leak on the left rear so after I get the driveshaft back, I'll need to pull the brake and open up the back of it to remove the c-clip so I can pull the axle to replace the seal. Big job coming up

Most of these axles get busted up or rocks or twist the axle rods out in teh muck. I had to have a pinion bearing replaced on my 2wd at 160K but that was it.

Sorry, I didn't catch you wanted disc brakes. I think the hard ware to change from drum to disc is a bolt on deal, but it would be easier to locate a G cherokee with them alread on, but if you go that rout look at Rangers and Explorers also. I believe they are 3.73 or 3.75 deals

98 and up Rangers and Explorers have the better brakes. I have 114" wb 92 and 108" wb 94 Rangers, 2.3l/5spd and the rear brakes are a farce. Tiny drums, tiny shoes, very weak springs and wheel cyclinders. Fragile parking brake mechanisms. Rear end ratios unknown.

V6 trucks had bigger drums and better gear ratios.

98 and up Rangers and Explorers have the better brakes. I have 114" wb 92 and 108" wb 94 Rangers, 2.3l/5spd and the rear brakes are a farce. Tiny drums, tiny shoes, very weak springs and wheel cyclinders. Fragile parking brake mechanisms. Rear end ratios unknown.

V6 trucks had bigger drums and better gear ratios.

This is the way to go, better setup than the cherokee type.

thanks for all the feedback. I didn't realize a grand Cherokee was not just a better trim level of a Cherokee. talked to a jeep guywho has several Cherokees and he straigtened me out.

I can spend some research time to learn, but I assume the Explorer had our bolt pattern and similar width? my main goal is to get rear disks. with the OD tranny my stock 4.11 isn't ideal, but not bad but brakes are not the best. Around 3.73 is probably right on the money. add disk brakes and I'm ready to cruise the highways.

So, are all Explorers equal, or is there more to worry about like the Cherokee?

Lots of info on the web about the Exploder 8.8" rears. Bolt pattern is the same as Mopar. I put one from a '93 in my "41 Dodge. Mine is a 3.27:1 and works well with the fluid drive. If not for the fluid drive I think a 3.55 or 3.73 might be better. The rear is a drum brake unit and is three inches narrower than my original which I made up with wheel spacers. The newer rears are disk brake units. Google search "explorer 8.8" for lots of info like this http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html

Differential.jpg

Very good info. From an old post I found the cherokee is slightly narrow compared to a pilot house rear which works for me because I think a pilot house rear is slightly wider than the 39-47 truck I'm putting it in. Anyone got an actual measurement(s)? Also will a mostly stock 218/5spd with 15" tires pull a truck with a 3.73? I'm thinking I might be better off looking for the 4.11.

Very good info. From an old post I found the cherokee is slightly narrow compared to a pilot house rear which works for me because I think a pilot house rear is slightly wider than the 39-47 truck I'm putting it in. Anyone got an actual measurement(s)? Also will a mostly stock 218/5spd with 15" tires pull a truck with a 3.73? I'm thinking I might be better off looking for the 4.11.

Ed, I did get to take mine for a couple of drives with the 3.73 and I did used to have a 4.11. I did not notice the difference, but due to the vibration, I didn't go over 50. In my opinion, 3.73 is not a problem, but I have a 4 speed and the low gear is a grannie. I have no idea what your 5 speed gearing is.

These are the ratios for the 5spd

1st=3.76:1, 2nd=2.18:1, 3rd=1.42:1, 4th=1:1, and 5th=0.72:1

The factory 3spds plus ODs came with a 4.11 ratio.