OT Natural Disasters & Old Cars?

Charlie Olson

After witnessing all of these terrible tornadoes and floods, I wondered what do people, who live in those areas with repeat natural calamities, do to protect their collector cars; if anything. Are hundreds of old cars and trucks being destroyed or what? Your insights and observations would be appreciated.

I saw pics of after one of the tornados in MO....a nice looking El Camino about 1969 with a tree sitting on it sideways like a hot dog sitting in a bun...........those pics are terrible to see.

But I do not want to take away from the heart wrenching grief from losing your home or loss of life. Cars can be replaced.

An interesting subject.I'm not sure how you could protect your collector car from natural disasters - stuff happens.After the insurance claim if any is settled,I'm sure there's some interesting stories on where damaged collector cars end up. Perhaps a real headache for some unsuspecting future owner unaware of the complete history of say a flood damaged car.

Not really a natural disaster but I saw a picture a year or two ago of a firetruck that had gone off the road rolled down a hill and landed square on someones mint 69 camaro(or firebird forget which). Not much you can do to avoid stuff like that. Enjoy them while you can.

After witnessing all of these terrible tornadoes and floods, I wondered what do people, who live in those areas with repeat natural calamities, do to protect their collector cars; if anything. Are hundreds of old cars and trucks being destroyed or what? Your insights and observations would be appreciated.

Full coverage insurance. Doesn't really protect the car from a tornado but it gives me peace of mind knowing that if something terrible does happen I can look forward to the search for another classic.

Depends on how attached to it you are. I had started to rebuild my 73 El Camino that got flood damaged in Long Beach MS back in 95. Deployed to Spain for 6 months with the Navy, came back and it was gone. Oh well, just a late model Chevy. Was madder that my new mountain bike got detroyed (area reflooded and both got wrapped around a tree).

My uncle has been storing my 32 Ford Victoria at his place for years. In the pasture. No big deal if it has a tree fall on it or gets stolen, since both of us hate 32 Fords anyway. It was pasture art grade when we brought it home.

I drilled drainage holes in the floorpans of both my trucks. They live outside. As much as I like them, if something major happens they are replacable. Dotto my motorcycles. So far so good.

Damaged collector vehicles tend to end up in specialty yards. I used to work at a motorcycle salvage company, we were always getting e-mail alerts from insurance auctions. Specialized field.

And speaking of insurance.......if you've had your car for quite a while and

done any upgrades or improvements.....you might want to get it re-appraised to a bit higher value.

I can pretty much guarantee that the insurance co

won't pay you any more than your stated or agreed value on the policy.

My brother in law had done some little improvements on his 88 Corvette,

but had not increased his coverage limit. Then the car caught fire in the

engine compartment ...... the company paid the stated amount, but would

not exceed it - called his chrome items "dress up" or some such and said

they didn't add to the real value. I suspect that if he'd have gotten more

coverage after installing those things, he would have gotten the full

amount. A little tough to add value after the loss.