Personal car talk, is it good for the hobby?

Bruce48D24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee.... that guy got enough Daytonas?:D

Tom

Looking at the roof and rear window the left one is a plymouth superbird and the right one a daytona. One of each sounds about right.

Besides the flush rear window all the superbirds had vinyl roofs to hide all the patching they did to give them the flush rear window.

He sure was an interesting fellow. I don't think that any of his cars were original Daytona's. He supplies cars that look like Daytona's to movie sets. He said that they usually get crashed or burned (or destroyed in some way), but the ones that they destroy are cars made up to look like Daytona's. The rear wings are made from helicopter rotor blades, and he makes the Daytona fronts from steel. I'm not sure how many I counted there - I think that there were at least 9 cars in the garage, 1 in the driveway, and the blue Plymouth in the yard. Here's a few other pics...

Desotodav

post-7583-13585361189201_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585361189577_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585361189985_thumb.jpg

post-7583-13585361190679_thumb.jpg

Had my P15 out in the driveway working on it, when a car stopped and a young guy (probably about 15 or so) got out and asked if the car was a Volkswagen. I just laughed a bit and explained that it was a Plymouth. The kid bet his Mom that the car was a Volkswagen. He lost the bet.:D

People ask me all the time if I want to sell Annie. As soon as I say it was my grandfather's car, they back down and say "Ooh okay, you keep that car forever then!"

Another thing that annoys me is people thinking my '74 Monte Carlo is a '73. I've had it about 4 years, and less than 5 people have guessed it correctly. I even have a year plate on it. It's a 1973 plate with a 74 renewal sticker.

I always get asked too "Did you do the work yourself", about either car, and I have to say, every time "It's un restored."

I could see somebody thinking it was a jumbo sized Volvo, since the 60s model 2 door sedans were knock-offs of mid-late 40s USA cars. Just scaled down.

But a VW? I've never seen a classic Plymouth ugly enough to be confused with a VW... I can say that, I have Super Beetle in the barn. I'm not sure anything on four wheels is as nausea inducing as my Kubota orange Bug.:D

People ask me all the time if I want to sell Annie. As soon as I say it was my grandfather's car, they back down and say "Ooh okay, you keep that car forever then!"

Another thing that annoys me is people thinking my '74 Monte Carlo is a '73. I've had it about 4 years, and less than 5 people have guessed it correctly. I even have a year plate on it. It's a 1973 plate with a 74 renewal sticker.

I always get asked too "Did you do the work yourself", about either car, and I have to say, every time "It's un restored."

My first car was a '74 Monte Carlo, The front seat looked like it was used for an ash tray. You couldn't count the burn holes. It also had alota rust, but it was cheap and dependable. I remember taking autobody in highschool. The teacher asked if any of us would like to paint our own cars. I raised my hand with the speed of light, the teacher says lets go look at it. He walks around it with a grim face and says, " Save your money kid, we're only in here a year anyway". I sure had fun with it though, it was hard to be cool in a car that rough but I did my best.Lol

My first car was a '74 Monte Carlo, The front seat looked like it was used for an ash tray. You couldn't count the burn holes. It also had alota rust, but it was cheap and dependable. I remember taking autobody in highschool. The teacher asked if any of us would like to paint our own cars. I raised my hand with the speed of light, the teacher says lets go look at it. He walks around it with a grim face and says, " Save your money kid, we're only in here a year anyway". I sure had fun with it though, it was hard to be cool in a car that rough but I did my best.Lol

Lol! Very cool! I love stories like this. To me, MY award for my car(s) is people telling me stories like this and their memories of a car like mine. I don't need a shiny trophy to tell me my car is nice :)

Thanks for sharing!