frozen master cylinder

ggdad1951

with the temps heading back to below freezing and snowmageddon on the way, I decided to tear into my master cylinder today, only to find the thing is frozen solid. The piston is in there good, I tried tapping on the push rod and got some Kroil on there but she still is stuck...is this even work trying to fix? I wonder if the walls are pitted and rusty after 30 years of sitting w/ no fluid in it. For $129 a new one seems to be a lot easier than dealing with trying to refurb this thing.

thoughts?

Get the new one. If you ever get the old one apart, you'll have a major pit where it was sitting that will leak. Of course it could always be sleeved since you have access to all kinds of machine tools, but is the labor and expense worth it.

yah, I think you are right...I could sleeve it, but that seems like WAY more work than I want to get into...I have a new paper weight now! :) And besides, whats "just a little more" money, right?

Well if you put it in the way it is now, you'd at least have a really solid pedal.:D Brakes are something I don't like to cut corners on. New lines, new rubber hoses, new cylinders, good linings/pads.

Get a new one, it's waaay cheaper than getting the potential paper-weight sleeved. I sleeved mine in the '48 & the '49 cuz new ones could not be found back then, not even at NAPA or the local parts store, Roberts & Bernbaum were out of stock, and I didn't know enough to look up VPW.

new old one..or...could be the best time to upgarde to a dual cyl model..I did mine this pas summer..was a pretty easy swap with a bit of welding and grinding skills....I also however converted to front disc...but I think the dual master would make a hug difference on 4 wheel drum as well.