High Pitched Rubbing sound during acceleration and sometimes idling...

fedoragent

Folks,

I'm somewhat confused. Today I took the ol' girl for a drive to run some errands and a local speed shop. She has developed an occasional large whine that sounds like it is coming from the fan belt. It sounds like rubber rubbing against the wheel or something. It is intermittent, and only when I accelerate. Has anyone ever experienced anything like that?

Thanks,

FG.

what about the lower cluth cover? could be loose? rear motor mounts letting the engine shift side to side?

The rear motor mounts are pancake so I think that may be part of it. I'm driving her to Bob's Big Boy tonight so I shall take note of my observations and report my findings back here.

FG.

maybe a possum is trapped between the upper and lower A arms..

to be serious..do you detect any feeling like something is shifting around a bit..have you checked your mounts for excess play/compression..is the noise there in tight turns both directions?

Tim,

It only happens when I make a tight turn. If I don't turn as tight, it is fine. And it is seems as though it is only when I turn RIGHT hard.

FG.

The belts can sometimes whine if your pulleys are out of alignment. When I switched to an alternator, the belt whined until I got the alignment right.

Tony,

The belts 'SEEM' aligned right. But then again I'm not expert. I may carry my digital camera and take video for when the sound does occur and show you the engine.

FG.

Folks,

My car's rubbing problem was solved by my good friend. He and I were going to go for a ride in her and he said "I know what that is, and I know how to fix it." 20 minutes later, fan belt tension adjusted, alternator adjusted a bit...and now NO MORE NOISE. I will however, pick myself up a spare fan belt soon.

Thanks folks!

FG.

Folks,

My car's rubbing problem was solved by my good friend. He and I were going to go for a ride in her and he said "I know what that is, and I know how to fix it." 20 minutes later, fan belt tension adjusted, alternator adjusted a bit...and now NO MORE NOISE. I will however, pick myself up a spare fan belt soon.

Thanks folks!

FG.

Thanks for posting the "fix". Good idea to carry a spare fan belt and I need to follow my advice as I do not carry one but soon will. Are you using the skinny (1/2" belt or the wide 3/4" belt? What is the belt part number?

Thanks for posting the "fix". Good idea to carry a spare fan belt and I need to follow my advice as I do not carry one but soon will. Are you using the skinny (1/2" belt or the wide 3/4" belt? What is the belt part number?

Don,

I don't have the part number as it is worn off. However, I am using a skinny belt. And in some ways, it looks too doggone long for my car, hence having to move the alternator to adjust. I've been driving her today and it's been wonderful.

FG.

Don,

I don't have the part number as it is worn off. However, I am using a skinny belt. And in some ways, it looks too doggone long for my car, hence having to move the alternator to adjust. I've been driving her today and it's been wonderful.

FG.

Do you have the correct pulleys on the crankshaft and the waterpump? If not, installing a skinny belt in a wide pulley will cause them to ride at the bottom of the pulley groove with no load on the sides at all, which is not a good thing!

Marty

Do you have the correct pulleys on the crankshaft and the waterpump? If not, installing a skinny belt in a wide pulley will cause them to ride at the bottom of the pulley groove with no load on the sides at all, which is not a good thing!

Marty

Marty,

In fact the belt does indeed fit and it is skinny and not on a wide pulley.

FG.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks Mack, proof positive. And Napa has the belt.

FG.

Can you post a picture of your alternator and the alterhator bracket? The skinny belt Mack pictured may be the same belt I need but I could tell better seeing a picture of your setup. Here is what I have but foolishly I did not record the belt part number when I built this bracket 6 years ago..

alternator3.jpg

Bracket1.jpg

Can you post a picture of your alternator and the alterhator bracket? The skinny belt Mack pictured may be the same belt I need but I could tell better seeing a picture of your setup. Here is what I have but foolishly I did not record the belt part number when I built this bracket 6 years ago..

alternator3.jpg

Bracket1.jpg

Don, his Alternator set up looks similar to yours. They just use the generator bracket and tighten it up with a single bolt on the bottom. then, they extended the top arm with a crudley made piece of stock bar. I say he should use a regular V8 Alternator bracket and grind it to fit.... but yes that belt should be good for ya.:)

BTW Your solution to the problem is way better than what they came up with!