krap

Don Coatney

Yesterday after I filled my steering box with corn head grease I fired up my car and went for a nice 40 mile drive. Everything worked great. This morning I hopped in the car to pull it out of the garage. I always tromp my brake pedal a time or two before leaving the garage. This time the pedal went almost to the floor before I felt any resistance. It did pump up but did not feel right. I jacked the car up on blocks and looked at al the wheels. They are all dry so the problem must be in my master cylinder. I rebuilt this master culinder 5-6 years ago. Looks like I will be re-building it again.

MVC-009F.jpg

MVC-008F.jpg

I was thinkin about driving the car to Indiana on Saturday to pick up 2 or 3 grandkids and bring them home for a week. I am still going but will not drive the car.
Don, good reason to convert to a dual master---safer for the kids...hope ya get er fixed..........Lee

Hey Don, now you know if you wanted to drive that car you would burn some midnight oil and have it ready by 5:00 am. The stuff we have seen you do is mind bending:) It is nice to have the youngsters in the car shifting gears.

Don't let it worry you Don. My 55 Chevy stopped on me today and I can't sleep. I had it towed to Granddad's place and yes pulled the Plymouth out to get home.:P I think the MSD box has failed. I will test the coil with another I have around here so I will know tomorrow.

It's a pity...I wanted to Hot Rod this week end:cool:

It's a shame this happened but you are very smart to test the brakes every time before you take her out.

BTW... What the heck is "Corn Head Grease"? I've never heard of that before.

For an interesting video follow this link. This stuff is Thixotropic. That is always good to know.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/d...pose_corn_head

This stuff is Thixotropic.

Cool beans! I'm going to have to get me some of that stuff for MY steering box! Much better than those other non-Newtonian pseudoplastics! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thixotropic

I assume it's sold in Tractor Supply Places so I'll stop by one on my next fishing trip;)

Edited by Jim Saraceno

Speeking of internet orders I just made 2 attempts to call ECI to inquire about there bolt on dual master cylinter. The phone number from there web site (860) 872-7046 rang and rang and rang but nobody answered?? Anyone have additional numbers for them?

bought a new master for my 54 windsor. it came sleeved with stainless. should never be a problem as long as i live. price was around $125. can't remember where i got it.dual master is better. a brake line corroded on my 97 grand marqis but i could still drive home because of the dual master. capt den

Don, I ordered the dual master cylinder and bracket for my 48 from ECI and an disappointed, they show two different pictures in the on line catalog. One has an arm made from 1/2" steel bar stock with a 3/4" hole in the top to fit the new pivot bar they furnish with a milled slot for the boss on the lower arm of the pedal to go into. You bolt the new arm to the old arm and then the push-rod fits below the old arm. This setup moves the brake pedal 1/2" over to the center of the car. This is the one they sent me. I think it is Tim Adams on one of his cars has one that is like the other one shown in their catalog. It has an intermediate arm mounted to the extension that holds the pedal assembly and is longer than the arm on the pedal. The push-rod on the pedal goes to the center of the new arm and then a new push rod goes to the new master cylinder which is mounted lower and further back than the original master cylinder and does not move the brake pedal over toward the center of the car.

Don, I ordered the dual master cylinder and bracket for my 48 from ECI and an disappointed, they show two different pictures in the on line catalog. One has an arm made from 1/2" steel bar stock with a 3/4" hole in the top to fit the new pivot bar they furnish with a milled slot for the boss on the lower arm of the pedal to go into. You bolt the new arm to the old arm and then the push-rod fits below the old arm. This setup moves the brake pedal 1/2" over to the center of the car. This is the one they sent me. I think it is Tim Adams on one of his cars has one that is like the other one shown in their catalog. It has an intermediate arm mounted to the extension that holds the pedal assembly and is longer than the arm on the pedal. The push-rod on the pedal goes to the center of the new arm and then a new push rod goes to the new master cylinder which is mounted lower and further back than the original master cylinder and does not move the brake pedal over toward the center of the car.

Thanks James;

That is exactly the information I was looking for. The 1/2" move to the right is not acceptable to me. I will call them tomorrow and see what they have to say.