What if... they made a modern flathead?

Flatie46

Seems like some of the modern do-dads on our engines are there to help reduce air pollution/ by-products of combustion. I'm guessing that our flat-heads are maybe not as "clean" as newer engines. But--It would be neat to see how our flatties compare on that issue too.

It'd be nice to see them compare a P-15 to a modern car in all areas. I had heard about them doing a crash test on an old impala and they showed how much safer the newer cars are:rolleyes:. I think there tests are a little biased. I know one area that a P-15 would win hands down without a doubt! Style! They just couldn't argue that.

Seems like some of the modern do-dads on our engines are there to help reduce air pollution/ by-products of combustion. I'm guessing that our flat-heads are maybe not as "clean" as newer engines. But--It would be neat to see how our flatties compare on that issue too.

In Cleveland Ohio, a polution test was required on vehicles. On my 71 400 small block truck, I had just put 450 miles on it the day before the test. The tester could not get ANY reading on the polution count. My engine had 30,000 miles on a rebuild, 450 miles the day before using high test fuel, at 65MPH. Would like to have a polution test on my Plymouth under similar conditions.

crash test...as the story was related to me concerning the 51 Suburban I now own..it was on the back of a trailer being towed by a Ranger pickup...something went amiss (poor brake and no rear weight and short wheelbase) and of course the twisted metal in the aftermath..the Ranger is gone to that great graveyard in the sky..the Suburban got a dented hood, grille still intact and a bent left bumper brace..bumper was unscathed..less damage than anvil tossing on a Saturday

My honda was ohc even. Has a timing belt.

Them old briggs powered mowers, the engine would outlast the mower itself if you changed the oil in it once a year. Do you have to change the timing belt after so many yards mowed?:rolleyes:

Not me. I got it that way for free. Now I have about $50 into a honda lawn mower. I think it would have cost 600 or so new.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda.:) (Honda motorcycle ad from the 60s)