Dual Horn Photo's

JJs 1948

I've seen on the forum dual horns but what was the factory installed set-up as far as size of horns? Merle has a standard horn with the other being about half the lenght. Others have used two standard length horns together. Which one is original to factory specs? I can't find a Dodge factory manuel illustration or photo for the dual horns. I remember seeing on the forum some members truck photos but having trouble finding them. Sure would like to see the official factory pictures. Thanks for any help with this. Jeff

Thanks Reg. Which mounting bracket is for the Dodge Trucks? I believe I have the correct smaller horn but would like to see how they were mounted. Thanks again, Jeff

Any other photos or factory illustrations would be greatly appreciated from anybody.

• 3 years later...

I thought that I'd tag onto this old thread to keep all of the dual horn information together.

I had been looking to obtain a set of dual horns for my truck for quite a while and had all but formed the opinion that I didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices that the occasional set that I did see sold for. With the help of numerous members here namely David A, Aussiedodgegirl, TodFitch, and HanksB3B I have been able to complete my dual horn project and post information here for future reference of other enthusiasts.

I managed to purchase a set of dual horns on Ebay USA that were eventually advertised at a reasonable price as '41 woodie twin horns'. The horns were 6 volt and marked 'The Electric Auto-lite Co.'. They were not in working order, but (apart from surface rust) appeared to be in good shape for their age. I received the horns a fortnight or so after purchasing them and set about to turn them into an exact replica of the horns that DavidA purchased a while back (photo 4). I sandblasted the horns, had them painted and then set out to make them work. I found that the coil part of both horns tested fine but the contact points showed areas of concern. I removed the contact points, cleaned them up and eventually got them working fine (photo 5). I had earlier obtained the exact measurements from DavidA for the 'Z' plate which connects the horns to the firewall mounting bracket and was able to get them made up by my friend Aussiedodgegirl's husband. I used mounting pieces from my other horns to attach the horns to the 'Z' plate (photo 1). I was able to obtain details from TodFitch with regard to the working principles of the horns. I also found this website most helpful... http://www.vernco.com/Sparks/id516.htm . I located an original 6 volt horn relay and was able to obtain it through HanksB3B (photo 2). I managed to attach the dual horns to my truck before I went for a drive to a show this morning (photo 3). I have heard both of the horns working individually, but I haven't connected them to the relay yet as I now plan on painting the trumpet parts in gloss black to match my air cleaner.

I thank each of those members who have aided in making my dual horn project a complete success. The contributions of numerous other members that I found during a forum topic search had proved most valuable and I thank all of you also.

I trust that the information and photos contained within this thread aid other enthusiasts in their current (or future) project/s.

Desotodav

post-3915-0-41491900-1363498116_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-41322900-1363498126_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-78192200-1363498140_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-74292600-1363498148_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-37914200-1363498157_thumb.jpg

The sounds of single and dual horns... Took me an hour just to get this to work! Hope it does

Single Horn sound Byte..           http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/272/tfkgiiiycsjdcqfefyefuw.mp4

Dual Horn sound Byte....            http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8421/zwrboitnjrireelckruesw.mp4

• Like 1

those appear to be as the 41 Plymouth horns...I have a nice set of them laying out on the shelf...

Are you selling them????

48D