Please Read The Update Announcement... ×

A little help on truck and car engines

bob_amos

I have a 48 P-15 in my shop. The engine code is PT5. I am assuming that the "T" would designate truck. Am I correct? Anyway, the engine has a decided list towards the drivers side. Under the vehicle this list is more pronounced when looking at the trans mounts. Looking at the front support that is attached to the engine mount and frame it appears to be secured properly. The mount, while needing replacement, is not all that bad. Not enough to cause this list. I am thinking that the support may be different in the truck version and not the same as the car. Anyone ever run into this before?

PT5 is one of the first years of plymouth trucks I believe 1937. The 37-38 trucks were more car based then the later 39-41 trucks. So its possible a 37-38 front mount would fit but not be the proper shape for a p15 frame. The 39-47 mopar truck front mount is very different and I dont believe would bolt up at all. Certainly check the rear rubber mounts first. Then I'd start looking at that. Do you have another p15 to compare to? Maybe also check to see if someone did some welding to the truck mount to get it to fit or something weird like that.

Thanks for the input. The mounts do need replacement but the list is severe. Actually, the right side of the motor is lifted at the front and is carried through the entire engine/trans combo so that the right side trans mount is actually lifted from the mount. My thoughts were that the bracket mounted to the front of this engine has the lower base mounting points that are not the same as the P-15 car.

A '37 engine in this guys '48?? Boy is he ever going to be dissappointed!!!

Any more input would be welcome. Oh yeah guys, While Iam a professional mechanic of 40 plus years, this is one of those things that are not an every day item so your help is truely appreciated.

Sure sounds like someone in the past has shoehorned a truck engine and mounts into a car frame. Were you planning on pulling out the engine anyway Bob? Might be a good time for the owner to shop around for a closer match. A while back there was a fellow in Glendora trying to sell a complete Dodge 230. Forum name is 1941Dodge.

Thanks guys. It is looking more like the guy has the wrong mount bracket in this car. Let me know what you find in the way of brackets for this one.

Norm, No, the customer just wants it to sit in there as it was designed. It runs pretty good but I know he's going to be bummed when he hears what is in there...

I'm looking in a parts book right now and I don't see a PT5. PT50 is a '37 truck, PT57 is a '38, a P15 is a '46-'49 car.

Is it al all possible that "T" is a "1"?

I know he's going to be bummed when he hears what is in there...

He doesn't need to be "bummed" even if it is a PT50. They are basically the same engine, the '37 being a 201.3 ci and the '46 being a 217.8 ci.

Yes he'll lose a little hp (I don't remember exactly how much) but it's nothing to get discouraged about. Besides if he REALLY is concerned about it, these engines are pretty common and inexpensive. He can get a 217 or even a 230.

I'm looking in a parts book right now and I don't see a PT5. PT50 is a '37 truck, PT57 is a '38, a P15 is a '46-'49 car.

Is it al all possible that "T" is a "1"?

He doesn't need to be "bummed" even if it is a PT50. They are basically the same engine, the '37 being a 201.3 ci and the '46 being a 217.8 ci.

Yes he'll lose a little hp (I don't remember exactly how much) but it's nothing to get discouraged about. Besides if he REALLY is concerned about it, these engines are pretty common and inexpensive. He can get a 217 or even a 230.

Looking again, the "T" could be an "I". But the cross on the top is very wide and prominent. There seems to be a small, what looks like a scratch, at the base of the "T". Very small and not very deeply cut. It almost looks as if I could scratch off the paint and it would dissappear. These old engine numbers are something I don't work with often so any input is always a big help. My consern is with the listing. If the engine is a P-15 engine I am wondering where in the world the wrong mount bracket came from. I do know, though, that the engine has been out of the vehicle as the radiator cross bar has been cut and rewelded in the same manner that all those old mechanics did. I remember the first time I saw a guy do that. It seemed to me, at the time, that it took a little longer to remover the engine without cutting up the car, but took longer in the end doing the refitting and welding. Go figure those old time mechanics. They had some weird ideas. Or... were they just lazy? LOL

Don, Thanks for those links. Interesting reading and helpful.

Edited by bob_amos

Bob the best way besides the engine number is the casting date. Look for a date along the oil pan rail near the dist. I think its towards the firewall from the dist. Anyway If its truely a 37 engine it will have a 36 or 37 date. Otherwise a p15 would be 45-49.

Bob the best way besides the engine number is the casting date. Look for a date along the oil pan rail near the dist. I think its towards the firewall from the dist. Anyway If its truely a 37 engine it will have a 36 or 37 date. Otherwise a p15 would be 45-49.

Well, the good news is it is a P-15 engine. That build date is 2.18.48. So the "T" must be an "I" I scratched the paint off and, like I said, the bottom mark almost dissappeared. Think I'll enhance it so as not to have trouble in the future. The owner will be happy to hear that.

Now that bad news is, I am back to square 1. I guess I will remove the horse collar mount and see if the are any markings on it.

Good luck. I'm not sure about the '48 but my '35 would be tough to work on the engine mounts while the engine was still in the car.

If pictures will help I have a bunch of them here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v76/JImCno/

Don Coatney has even better ones and I think you can link them from his signature.

Sorry for the delay in posting this. I don't make it to this site very often these days. Anyway, Thanks for the help and input. Generally, I have the list handled. Removing the horseshoe mount exposed that there was a bend at the left side as well as a crushed mount on the left side too. Replaced the mount and aligned the bracket and it is real close. I may insert a shim to level things off if needed. Thanks again guys....