Seat Belts?

kfxinsd007

Just where do you live that requires that old cars must have seatbelts installed..if your car never had belts from the manufactuer then they are not require BUT if you install belts in the old can then the law requires you to use them..personally I like the belts..I do shoulder harnesses from donor vehicles...lof course lap belts are better than nothing..

Just where do you live that requires that old cars must have seatbelts installed..if your car never had belts from the manufactuer then they are not require BUT if you install belts in the old can then the law requires you to use them..personally I like the belts..I do shoulder harnesses from donor vehicles...lof course lap belts are better than nothing..
And of course if you do install them you have to weld in reinforcment plates so they don't rip out of the floorboard in case you have an accident.:eek:

odd of you getting a set of belts from any retailer with retrofit to your old car with weldable reinforcement plates is close to nil. The belt kits will come with large washers to sandwich the floor pan between so as to displace the stress ovar a larger area and prevent rip out..I install mine with plate steel behind the original metal and thus bolt my anchors in place...in areas such as blind holes, these plates will have the anchor nuta welded to the plate and the plate slipped into place...

Not sure of other makers but should you decide that a set of donor belts from a late model Mopar suit you..the bolts that retain them in the welded plates of the unit body are 7/16-20 threaded...you can use the original shouldered bolts to have the movement the set requires and use a GM lug nut to bolt them in place..the GM lug nut is of suitable grade hardware hands down..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I just put a set in the back seat of the 37, so I can take the grandkids for a ride. I got them from Snake Oyl, the chrome ones are almost identical to the original seat belts installed by Chrysler in my 64 Fury.

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Ssnake-Oyl&Category_Code=2PNRLSB

Here is a link back from April with seatbelts and the mounting hardware.

Juliano's - www.Julianos.com

I highly recommend Juliano's, as they have a very clever floor mounting kit that doesn't require welding but does prevent the belt mount from cutting through the floor. I installed three of their belts in my business coupe.

Marty

When I finally get new upholstery in my P15, I intend to install seat belts that I will never use for a couple of reasons.

A) My wife wants them installed.

B) My sisters-in-law will not allow their children to ride in my car without seatbelts.

C) In the future, I may live some where that will not allow me to be without seatbelts.

D) Ignorant technician performing safety inspection may fail me some day because my car doesn't have working seatbelts.

E) Local Gestapo may not care that I am exempt.

I put a set in mine two years ago. Now the wife feels better when the kids ride and I feel a little bit safer. There only lap belts, but they are better than nothing.

I paid $15 each. Lots of different colors. Check out A Plus Rod and Custom at

http://www.aplusrodandkustom.com/

Here's a photo album of the install I did. Wasn't too hard at all.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u122/siufan6/seat%20belt%20install/

followed the link, I was quite surprised at the cost of the 3 point shoulder harness set up..and what even was more of a shock was that the installion kit is seperate..shipping and handling etc you have 400.00 is a set (2) of retractable 3 points..big big arguement for wrecking yard in my book..

Yeah if your going 3 point setup the wrecking yard is probably the way to go. I know Juliano's can get pretty pricey as well, even though I have a set of their chrome buckle belts in my old truck. They are very nice, but I only needed two sets. Made the cost a bit cheaper than a car.

oh yeah...for the application of a set of standard lap belts..the selection and price is hard to beat with them..please don't consider me slamming the company..far from it they are doing a service..the 3 point threw me a loop..some here may not have to consider money a factor..however...I can do a lot with the 350.00 I save at the wrecking yard..

I know some people question how strong the used seat belts are. I know a wrecking company that has told me when the flip a rolled car back over they usually use the seat belts to pull it. Those things are pretty strong. Even though once they did that I probably wouldn't want to use those seat belts in a crash.

Thank you all for your suggestions - Will check with local PD here in South Dakota. Pretty sure they will need to be installed.

Thanks to all again - God I love this site :)

Your local PD is the last group you want to ask about seat belt laws in your community. Their job is to raise revenue by way of fees and fines. Court opinions have stated time and again that police officers are not required to tell the truth, and are even allowed to use deception to raise revenue/gather evidence.

Your best bet is to consult a lawyer, member of your local city council/county commissioner, or your local state legislator. I'll go out on a limb here, but remind you that I am not a lawyer and I am not offering legal advice.

If neighbouring nanny state Minnesota does not require a vehicle made before 1965 to have seat belts installed then I would wager that South Dakota would be more relaxed about seat belt laws. In fact, even New York and California with the most draconian seat belt and traffic laws in these united States have exemptions for vehicles that were never equipped with seat belts.

I'd say pretty sure that you are not required to install and use seat belts in your P15. South Dakota is one of the last places that I would expect mandatory seat belt laws, esp. retrofitting "safety" equipment.

That may all change before I die, but I am only 35 and expect to be driving for at least another 50 years. A lot can (and has) in 50 years.

I agree with Ben there that you probably have laws in your state similar to others. In Illinois I know that it is not required in a car older than 1965 to have seat belts installed, but if they are installed and not used as Norm said they can give you a ticket for not wearing them.

I asked a friend of mine this question a few years ago. He is a president of a local car club and also a police chief so I figured he would tell me the truth. He told me just that, pre-'65 no belts have to be installed, but if you got 'em you better wear 'em.

I used those anchors from Julianos on my P15. They seem like a good item.

Have lap belts in front only. Got them at a swap meet from a place that

restores and works on Mustangs. Length was OK. Don't know if they were

especially for Mustangs or not. I just got them cause they were the right

color for my interior. They do not retract....just lay in the seat.

Oh......if they do auto safety inspections for licensing purposes, you might ask one of the inspection

places about the rules.