Low cost paint system

Normspeed

Didn't want to hijack Fred's painting thread so here's a new one. I'm not connected with Summit Racing or with Popular Hot Rodding magazine, but there's a 2 page article in the latest issue. It's got me thinking of scrapping my plan for John Deere Blitz Black on my wagon and going for this stuff.

http://blogs.popularhotrodding.com/6340035/tech/summit-paint-system/index.html

I still like my Bright Side polyurethane made by Interlux. It's a marihe finish made to be used arounc saltwater, and a quart costs only $30 bucks or so. With one quart and using four-inch foam rollers, I can paint an entire truck cab and nose with thinned paint with enough coats to get a very nice finish that is more durable than either enamel or lacquer - can't be fazed by lacquer thinner when it is cured.

I thinn this stuff with regular mineral spirits, and it goes on quite nicely, now that I've figgeed out the M.O. JMHO

post-63-135853492589_thumb.jpg

Dave I realize this may not be an issue with the later trucks but how would one roller a lovered piece? The 39-47 trucks which I'd be tempted to try a roller job on have a lovered grill and hood.

I still like my Bright Side polyurethane made by Interlux. It's a marihe finish made to be used arounc saltwater, and a quart costs only $30 bucks or so. With one quart and using four-inch foam rollers, I can paint an entire truck cab and nose with thinned paint with enough coats to get a very nice finish that is more durable than either enamel or lacquer - can't be fazed by lacquer thinner when it is cured.

I thinn this stuff with regular mineral spirits, and it goes on quite nicely, now that I've figgeed out the M.O. JMHO

Dave the truck looks super. Brightside is a very unique marine polyurethane that will thin with regular mineral spirits, it has teflon in it too.

I have considered using it, but if I am going to spray, and not use an el-cheapo paint like Tremclad, I might as well buy Nason Acrylic enamel it is actually a little less than Brightside for the paint itself, but of course requires hardener and reducer. Like I say, I have thoght about spraying Brightside, but it's around $35.00 per quart, it ends up being higher priced than the Nason Acyrlic Enamel.

I actually stumbled upon an Acrylic Industrial High gloss enamel from a local source today.

I offers many colors, they custom tint what you want, it reduces with Acrylic enamel Reducer, it has UV protection, you can also add hardener, which I will do. It is only $45.00 a gallon. for blues, greens greys, $55.00 for reds, yellows It sprays nice and dries fairly quick as it is based in xylene and toluene.................Fred

Dave I realize this may not be an issue with the later trucks but how would one roller a lovered piece? The 39-47 trucks which I'd be tempted to try a roller job on have a lovered grill and hood.

That could be challenging, also ares like the underside nooks and cranies, very difficult tight spots.

A lot of the roller guys also use foam brushes for hard to reach areas, spraying of course penetrate all areas a lot easier.

But for the guys who dod not have equipment, this is a very viable option, and when done correctly as Dave has done, it turns out very well.......

There are a lot of them too. The upper grill for the 40 ply is hanging above the doors. The lower grill is towards the top of that rack and you can see it has a bunch too. I would think spraying these would almost be a requirement.

DSC00297.jpg

I used Interlux polyurethane paint on the interior of a wooden boat I had a few years ago. I brushed it onto wood that had been painted with enamel years before. It does shine up well. The only thing that annoyed me a little was that it did not settle into minor cracks in the wood, instead it kind of beaded up and sat on top. Not sure how this would affect a car. It may accentuate any imperfections in the surface. It did cover well, and is very durable.

I used Interlux polyurethane paint on the interior of a wooden boat I had a few years ago. I brushed it onto wood that had been painted with enamel years before. It does shine up well. The only thing that annoyed me a little was that it did not settle into minor cracks in the wood, instead it kind of beaded up and sat on top. Not sure how this would affect a car. It may accentuate any imperfections in the surface. It did cover well, and is very durable.

As with any other paint system, color and sheen will accentuate imperfections, and some will hide them.

You can redcue and spray this stuff too, which may be an even slicker lay down of the paint..........

There are a lot of them too. The upper grill for the 40 ply is hanging above the doors. The lower grill is towards the top of that rack and you can see it has a bunch too. I would think spraying these would almost be a requirement.

DSC00297.jpg

Ol' skool baby, dip them and hang dry!!:D

I got to say it don't sound bad, someone give it a try!! The best paint I ever used I got from Faith Plating and it was like 20.00 a gal, the stuff went on like glass and dried to the touch in 15min. I did a friend of mines 58 Fury in it 10yrs ago and it has only been washed maybe a half dozen times and never waxed and I cleaned off a spot the other day and it still looked as good as when I shot it!! Wished I could find it again.

Younger,

No problem getting into louvers, tight spots and rain gutters with the roller. Those things are at least 3./4-inch thick, and you just use the rounded end of the roller to get into crevices. An alternative is to use a foam brush and then clean up the area with the roller. Once you learn to hold your mouth right, the stuff goes on very easily.

What I especially liked about this method is that you can fix scratches, dirt, bugs, etc, when they happen, just by wet sanding out and repairing the areea, just like the old lacquer we used to use years ago. Very forgiving and very easy to use. After you repair he aiea, just block sand and polish with white compound, and Bob's your uncle! I painted my nose pieces a year ago, and they got skinned up in sorage, laying in the bed wrapped in blanket pads, but these will be easy to fix once the weather warms up a little

Why, I painted that critter in my garage, UNDER first wife's bedroom, and she has a very sensitive nose, if ya' know what I mean. No airborne paint, and no odor, orher than the mild type you get form the mineral spirits, and they even make that in odorless, if you're picky. Worked for me!:) :)

I have just seen some pics of another guys roller work on Hotrodders.com, I have never seen such a great roller paint job, it is fantastic to say the least. He uses some type of Marine paint, not Bright side bu a 2 part urethane marine paint, totally awesome........

post-114-13585349264045_thumb.jpg