Fulton Sun Visor info wanted

Andydodge

I am in the process of painting my Fulton Sun Visor, the top will be body colour, however the Fulton instructions that I downloaded from the web advise to leave it in the green primer, this was very discoloured so i have sanded and painted it the same grey primer as the top.......question is........those that have sun visors......have you painted the underneath?.....if so what colour?......I was going to leave it the flat grey of the primer as this actually matches the grey upholstery and I think would look o/k from sitting behind the wheel.......any opinions?....btw the car colour is a burgundy metallic and thats what the top will be at least.......andyd

Mine is also green primer for now....lol, someone painted the visor tractor green before I purchased it. It goes well with maroon, not!

Seriously the muted undertone of the very lite zinc oxide green is to reduce sun glare that bounces off the hood to the windscreen and finally up to the underside of the visor itself.

As long as you don't go with a clearcoat or a shiny basecoat underneath it should work fine.:)

You already know what moisture issues primer has, but since this is an non ferrous metal it is not a problem:)

The reason I was asking around is that even tho its a primer, actually I think its originally Zinc Chromate, as used on aircraft, and I'd prefer it with some paint on it, so I'll run with a grey at this stage......by the way did the Fulton Sun visor exist B4 WW2?.......curious as I wonder whether it was a way to use up excess sheet aluminium that was no longer required for P51's,P47's etc.......and thanks for the input & info, regards, andyd

Mine is yet never painted after leaving Fulton factory. The underneath is dull green and I intend to keep it that way, as I was amused by the "scientific" explanation found in Fulton mounting instructions: "the dull green finish has been baked on during manufacture. The under side should remain

green since this has been scientifically determined as the color which absorbs the maximum amount of light, and therefore provides the greatest protection from sun glare."

The top is for now dull or satin black and weather has eaten the color off the front edge and some on the top as well. My Dad used to paint cars in 60'...80's and he told the PPG 2K "acid" primer is best for bare aluminium, it will stick the surface. I belive this product was banned at least in EU from beginning of 2008, but we still have half a gallon left in the garage... I'll paint the top of the visor body color as soon as I will paint the car (which should be soon).

My Interest was piqued by the Fulton instructions to leave the color - sage green I think - because of its non-reflecting qualities. Turns out it is the same color (flat paint, not primer) used for anti-glare on the upper surfaces of WW2 and some later aircraft that were not painted and left bare aluminum. The insides of the engine nacells on multi-engine aircraft and the upper surface of the nose in front of the windscreen- basically places where the glare would not be appreciated by the pilots.

Flat balck maybe too dark under the visor, just gotta get a falt clear or something similar to cover the undercoat, again thanks for the comments & info, andyd