mouse proof your garage/shed

greg g

With the end of driving season for some of use right around the bend, the question comes up about what to do to keep mice out of your car.

Mothballs, irish spring, fabic softener sheets, snakes, ball bearing mouse trap

(read hungry tom cat) and other stuff has come up.

So how about a self reloading repeating bucket trap?? build it your self for nearly nothing and set up a couple in the area. Betcha the little ba$$tards don't get in your car.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/easterly110.html

easterly110-1.jpg

Those ones can leave paw prints on the car if you dont cover it. I had waxed my P-15 but forgot to cover it and it got a nice little coat of dust built up. There was a set of cat prints walking up over the hood and onto the roof. When it got near the back window it must have hit a slick spot because the prints turned into a california duster as it slid right down the back and down the trunk. Nice clean and shiny trail! Maybe thats how they came up with the idea. " All we need is a stick and 'here kitty kitty kitty'"....:D

'here kitty kitty kitty'"....:D

Why is it that when you call your dog you call him/her by name. You dont say here doggy doggy doggy. But when you call your cat you say here kitty kitty kitty. Not simply here kitty but here kitty kitty kitty. Of course all bets are off if your cat is named "Kitty" as our cat was so named. :confused:

Why is it that when you call your dog you call him/her by name. You dont say here doggy doggy doggy. But when you call your cat you say here kitty kitty kitty. Not simply here kitty but here kitty kitty kitty. Of course all bets are off if your cat is named "Kitty" as our cat was so named. :confused:

That is funny. For that matter why dont we dont with it humans. Maybe I will try it out on my wife. On second thought....:eek:

I already saw mice in my detached garage. Last year I put out 6 decon boxes out, next day they were empty, and thought I had alot of hungrey and now dead mice. Over the next week, I found little hiding spots filled with decon, saved for later. We do put lots of drier sheets in our camper, not one mouse, and smells good in the spring.

Carefull with the Decon. Those little buggers will crawl up in a space and die next thing you know you have a smell that will last quite some time. I am going to try the bucket idea...as well as a trap on my manifold. I have already found a few droppings on there recently. Maybe they are after the coolant leak I need to fix.

That is funny. For that matter why dont we dont with it humans. Maybe I will try it out on my wife. On second thought....:eek:

Believe it or not, I know someone who never called his wife by her name. Always said wife get me this or that, or wife come here, etc. What even got to me more is, she never once complained about it. I've know the guy for over 35 years and always thought it was kind of crude until a few months ago when she died. Then at the funeral services he was giving a little speech about her and their life together. Guess the reason for calling her wife all the time was because it was a term of endearment they both understood from the day they got married.

Back to the mice problems in the garage.

I use DeCon myself that comes in little trays. Just sit them next to the wall and let the mice (or other critters) have a feast. The mice may walk away after eating it, but they will die, AND, they won't smell afterward when decaying. That's because the DeCon actually eats away at the organs from the inside out, until eventually all you have is sterilized dust. I have found a couple in the garage that was flatter than a door nail that had not fully decade yet, and there was no smell. I've also taken a wall out in the garage to repair it. Found mice powdery dust laying on top of the base plate. Never smelled a thing.

Another note about DeCon. I have been in the facility where they make the stuff selling my products. In a conversation with them several years ago, they also said the DeCon works as I mentioned above.

As for Irish Spring, I've had that in the garage too. Guess what? After that has sat there for several months, look at it closely. You'll probably find teeth marks indicating they chew on it. So, I don't use that anymore.

I did get a mouse in a bucket years ago by accident. Of course he couldn't get out and died in there.

Two to choose from:eek:

The one on the right was a good mouser. Problem was he would bring them from the cellar to the living room for "show and tell" and let them go. Now he doesn't bother with mice.

From the picture, the second cat has X ray vision,So I know he can find them even inside the walls.... He might be a vegetarian Cat or He just doesn't like the taste of Rat in his mouth :D

I have such a problem with these things, after my snake found a new home I have them all over. I used the decon and it killed something else that got into my truck(1953) and died it took five months to get that smell out. I could not find the thing. I tried the irish spring and yes they chewed it. They may have had a party and washed with it and used the dryer sheets as towels:mad: I have two garages one is the old type (wood) not sealed and the other is steel sealed. They are mostly in the wood one. I am going down to do my winter thing in a couple of days so I will try anything at this point. At the house we never see any. I have killed a couple that hitch hiked a ride up from the country in the yard. I guess the word got out and they don't take that ride anymore.

as for the wife's name, I hope I sspell this right...Caldonya Caldonya what makes your big head so hard! :) I call her Mother because she takes care of us and does a good job. Those kitty cat words will get you in trouble:eek:

Forgot to mention two other things I do to keep the mice population down to a minimum. Have one of those electronic things going 24/7 in the garage. The other thing is I removed all wooden cabinets that sit directly on the floor. Now all cabinets are on caster wheels up off the floor, and table saw is sitting on a steel stand with no cabinet below. Work bench is on steel legs and the only shelf below it is at least a foot off the floor. That way they can't build nest under a cabinet or work bench. Only have one cabinet left sitting on the floor. That one is all steel and sealed all the way around. However, as soon as I find a suitable replacement for it that will be off the floor, it will be gone too.

I glanced at the picture and thought I knew what it was all about, I went back and read the complete article and undrstand the trap. I have all of that stuff on the farm and tomorrow I am going to build two of these traps. I might be able to rid myself of all of them. Thank you so much for sharing this is a great idea because I go down there 3 to 4 times a month now so the longer I wait the more I will get rid of, great idea:)

For those that put dryer sheets in their cars as a rodent repellant, how many do you usually put in a car? I put my P15 away for her winter nap today, but may disturb her later to do a few things more. I was short on time and simply managed to get her covered up, gassed up, and treated the gas w/ Sta-Bil and Heet. I should still disconnect the battery and take steps to keep the mice away from my authentic vintage upholstery. I've got a few other toys that need to be put away, but they are staying closer to home.

Not many mice.

We have Curacao squirrels (as my wife and I call them), look like squirrels but have a tail with no hair.

We refer to that name as guests get anxious when they think they see 'the other type".

Problem is that there are lots of them and they are hard to get rid off (they nest in the smallest places.

We use blocks of poison but we also have four dog (so no cats) and we have to be carefull.

Once we had a Doberman who had one of them in the mouth (dead) but when I called him, he swallowed it in one gulp.

Off to the vet, salt didn't work so he got an injection to throw up (which he did after 15 minutes, everything out in one piece). Poor dog was drinking buckets of water the rest of the day and looked like he had a hell of a hangover!

John

Not many mice.

We have Curacao squirrels (as my wife and I call them), look like squirrels but have a tail with no hair.

John

John,

Those sound a little like the Chipmunks we have here. Sort of a cross between a mouse and squirrel. A little larger than a mouse, but smaller than a squirrel and have a tail with just a little hair on them. Also, they are usually a brown color with stripes on their backs. But.........still can be just as bad a pest as the mouse or squirrel.

Biggest problem around here is. A lot of people think the squirrels and chipmunks are cute and feed them peanuts all the time. Have one neighbor about 3 houses up the street who has done that for years. So..........those things are hard to keep under control because of that.

Norm,

no , these are tree rats, but we call then squirrels for the guests.

When we sit outside for dinner and I see one crossing a beam in the carport and my wife sees me looking she will ask "do you see squirrels?" . I can then nod my head and say something "no, I thought I saw one". She knows , I know but the guest has no clue and will enjoy the dinner better ;)

John

John,

I guess in the end, they are all pest and all in the rodent family.:(

We also have lots of rabbits around which are also in the rodent family. However, they don't hurt anything so I can get along with those.

Our next door neighbors dog chased and caught a squirrel a couple of years ago. He didn't kill the squirrel, but he did get fleas from it. Neighbor had to have the dog dipped and fog inside his house to get rid of the fleas.