The Motor Oil Question

ThriftyT

This may open a can of worms, but with the purchase of my new 40 Chrysler , I'd like to hear what you all run in your flat 6.    I've used Rotella 15-40 for the last few years, with no real complaints except for one parade low psi issue in a sbc.     Thanks in advance fellas.  

did the car come equipted with an oil filter when you purchased the car.  If it did then the prior owner might have used a multi viscosity oil like what you are currently using 15-40. Most of th eold car of this vintage ran a straight weight oil such a 30 weight in summer and a 20 weight in winter.  With straight weight oil there is the tendancy to build up sludge in the oil pan. The multi wieght oil is also a detergent oil so it might lossen up the sludge in the bottom of the oil pan and clog up the oil filter.

Just watch the oil pressure and keep checking the oil dip stick to see if and when the oil is getting black. Detergent oil gets black becasue of the cleaning action

Rich Hartung

1 minute ago, ThriftyT said:

Yea. Someone put a spin on filter. I think I will run rotella 15-40.  Affordable- available and has some good stuff in it yet far as I can tell.  

Nothing wrong with this choice.

Even the newest formula for Rotella, has plenty enough ZDDP and additives that are light years ahead of any oils in the 1940s-70s, for our low valve spring pressured engines.

Used to run Travelers All Fleet from Tractor Supply Co. for years since my rebuild of my 230.  It is a 15w 40 oil for diesels, but says for all engines on the label.  Last oil change TSC had 15w40 Rottella on sale so it was just a bit higher than the Traveler, so I grabbed it.  The Rottella must have some seal additives in it, as I have noticed a lessening of chronic small leaks the engine has always had, mainly timing cover, valve galley covers, and rear main.  Most are just weepers now and rear main is about half if what it was.  Used to do a pint loss in 500 miles, about half that with the Shell stuff.  Never had any issues with the Traveler, thought it was probably produced by Shell any way, but the reduced leaks will probably see Rottela back in a next change regardless of whether it's on sale or not.  Oil pressure seems the same with either, just like the lack of drippage better.

Edited by greg g
  • Like 2