D-24 door panel removal question

windsor8

I'm preparing to remove the door panel on D-24 CC and replace the door locking assembly. Does anyone have suggestions or anything I should know before I start?    The panels are original and in pretty good condition so I don't want to mess them up .  Thanks

you  may wish to entertain new backing as JerseyHarold says..they get mushy...and if you do upgrade the panels I suggest a moisture barrier membrane between the backer board and the metal door fame to help prevent future warping of the door card..do pay close attention to the lower edge, these approx. 9 clips are a tad longer in the body due to the indent for the door wiper that is also secured in place with these clips..

You might also glue a sheet of plastic film to the back of the backer board or even onto the metal door frame to help reduce the mositure issue.

Might beable to spray a water proof spray on like what you can do to leather work boots, not sure if this would warp the backerboard or not?

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

while the spraying or coating of a backer board is a good idea..it is not at all going to solve all the moisture issues..not sure if you ever can but you can ward them off for a long period of time....coating will hold out against your common humidity but not what I recommend for long term exposure you may would get via rain and car washings without a moisture barrier..when I make my panels I usually seal them with urethane a good two coats..but I still recommend the moisture barrier..the ones I just made for the trunk of the 48 bz cp will see no rain and or wash water...so I coated these with a good quality latex paint of matching interior color...will watch this for how it will hold up...my final covering/applique has yet to be determined..

Regarding the "watershield" or waterproofing material behind the door panel.....my P15 service manual says:

"The watershield (waterproof paper), on cars so equipped, is cemented to the door inner panel.  Its purpose is

to protect the door trim panel from lubricant on the window regulator and door lock and from water which may 

enter the door between the door glass and outer door panel during a rain.  

To remove....carefully separate the cemented watershield  from the inner door panel.

When installing, cement the watershield in place with MOPAR Super Rubber Cement.  Replacement watershield

is available in roll form.  If not available use oil cloth or low cost leatherette material."

if they have any bottom left at all that is...both all 4 of the P23's I have owned and the two I have left had serious panel damage..the wagon at the very rear inner panels of the cargo bay did seem to last pretty solid yet but they were seriously maligned the rear panels by the back seat and the seat cubbies were toast...along with about 3 1/2 inches of metal....