B-1-F-170 Farm truck in the making.

Should be the 236ci  25" engine.

Yes - its the 236 25" engine. I haven't ran a compression test on it yet as it appears to run well enough for the time being. If it gives me any fits and needs some TLC inside, I'll pull it and drop in a rebuilt 251 or 265.

And yes - its long - 170" wheel base..... perfect for putting my little John Deere 330 Utility tractor on and taking it to a local tractor show. lol

post-1131-0-15349000-1439585482_thumb.jpg

The initial makings of the bed design that I am working on. I intend for it to be as low as possible (36" from ground to top of the deck is about as low as I think I can make it). I'm debating on making a dovetail on the back.... but I probably will simply because it will be easier loading tractors/trucks/cars/etc.... the occasional time I would haul hay/feed/lumber/etc... I can make do. The front bulkhead is very preliminary - but is the basic idea - using mandrel bent 2x4 tubing to protect the cab and I wanted it to try and match the body lines as much as possible. I should have clear line of sight out of all the windows too.

Well there goes a monkey wrench into this plan..... It looks like the 7.50-20 tires that I can buy might be far larger than what I have on the truck..... good thing I was dropping them into the sketch of my assembly..... I guess I need to go do some real world research....

6.50 X 20 were the base std installed tires on 5" rims on the F models.

7.00 or 7.50 were an option too with the 7.50's installed on wider 6.00" rims.

Yes..8.25 tires are factory mounted on both 6.00" and 6.50" wheels.

My problem arose because of a bad dimension in my notes. Its still a problem - but a solvable one. Its only a "problem" because I want to build the deck as low to the ground as I possibly can. 36" isn't doable without humps for the rear wheels.... I'm not doing humps as I need the deck flat more than I need it low. It will probably end up at 39-40" once I am finished..... its not hatefull.... but it will look awefully tall sitting next to my modern day gooseneck with a 30" tall deck. It is what it is.

• 2 years later...
On 8/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Danielandersen2 said:

Bringing life to an old thread, but I also have a 1.5 ton pilothouse, interested to see what you ended up going with/doing... 

Well right now its sitting in the barn. I cleaned it up, got her running good, and got headed down the path of finalizing a bed design, and work/life has gotten in the way of going any further. I'm in the process of changing some things though, so hopefully if all goes well there will be some traction this winter on the project.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Time to knock the dust off of this old thread. After stepping back and evaluating what I want and need this truck to do - combined with some other factors - Its time to take this project in a very different direction. 

20210925_195135-COLLAGE.jpg.4efdd4b57dd54c80be16684b0ee4080d.jpg

2006 Ford F550 4x4 chassis with 4.30 gears, 2009 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel engine, 2004 ZF S6-750 manual transmission with 271 manual transfer case. Picture it all coming together on modern tires of the "correct" height (I'm probably going with 37s) - and set at factory 1948 ride height on a substantially shortened chassis and maybe a 12 foot bed (still TBD after I get the cab and driveline set). 

I'll have the chassis in the shop before Halloween to start getting serious on measurements and cab mount fabrication. I'll be taking a page out of Mark's book on TODD and probably go full tilt front end just for the sake of access to the engine compartment. 

I'm leaving the patina on the cab. Its character and history that I simply am not ready to loose. The interior will get some updates over time. For the sake of functionality it will see the most changes - which does somewhat break my heart. It needs full insulation, A/C, navigation, and probably a full digital dash (only because its easy and cost effective for a full set of gauges on CANBUS. A modern tilt column, modern seats, hung pedals, etc.... 

The truck will be used around the farm and on future project retrieval missions. The plan is to have it functional and working the bugs out of it by late spring 2022, probably some more tweaks and updates over the winter, and then some long road trips with a large gooseneck in tow going to several antique tractor shows in 2023. 2023 is the 100th anniversary of the John Deere D and I have a pretty early tractor build in August of 1924 that I intend on taking to several shows along with some other tractors of mine as well as the neighbor's. Tentative locations in 2023 include shows in Illinois, Tennessee, and northwestern Ohio with the potential for more to be added. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ggdad1951 said:

That 6.7 is a beast of an engine!  Have fun!  Let me know if you want I can look it up in our systems for any info pertinent to it.  Just need the ESN.

Correct, the Cummins 6.7L is the stump-pullin' yet refined improvement over the 5.9L HO...lots of support out there for this blue ribbon power plant