Stripped a flywheel bolt

Joe Flanagan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried McMaster-Carr and Restoration Specialties and neither has the type of flywheel bolts I need. These are round-headed bolts with one side that is flat. Does anyone know of a source for these?

Joe,

The Chrysler part number for those bolts is 871685. A search on www.partsvoice.com using that number shows that Collectors Auto Supply and Valley Vintage Auto Parts have them. Collectors' price is $20 and Valley Vintage's price is $4.00. The Valley Vintage web site is www.vvap.com

Hope this helps.

Jim Yergin

Thanks, guys. I never thought of Neil Riddle. Probably a good bet. Jim, that's fantastic. Another resource I didn't know about. I've heard Partsvoice mentioned here but never paid much attention. Until I needed a part, of course.

And Tim, "a word from our sponsor?" You lost me there. It's still funny in some kind of way, though.

Rotary phones have been around much longer than cell phones. Vacuum tube radios have been around much longer than ipods. Conventinal ovens have been around much longer than microwaves. Buttons have been around much longer than zippers. Shovels have been around much longer than snow blowers. P-15 coupes have been around much longer than the new vehicle you just bought. Why do you drive your new vehicle and leave your P-15 parked in the driveway?

I think you need to adjust your logic:rolleyes:

Don,

Can't drive the coupe. It has no cowl vent in it, and it's in the garage, not the driveway.:P In reality though, I don't drive my new car that much either. Have only put about 730 miles on it since August 21st. But it looks good in the driveway too.:P I also have a vacuum tube radio. In my opinion microwave ovens are useless too. Just a big coffee warmer. And, yes, I do have two snow shovels. And, you didn't mention it, but don't own a flat screen TV either. All of ours are from the 70's and 80's.:P

I've tried McMaster-Carr and Restoration Specialties and neither has the type of flywheel bolts I need. These are round-headed bolts with one side that is flat. Does anyone know of a source for these? Also, Greg, I didn't see your post earlier but thanks for the tips on the torque wrench. I've never heard of a beam wrench. I've also been in situations where there is no room to fit a torque wrench. I guesstimated.

This is the special MoPar bolt Joe is looking for. This one is no good.

Joe , Just wondering , this time , can you tighten your flywheel bolts before you put your oil pan on ?

Jerry,

The engine is currently on a stand, which prevents me from installing the flywheel. I have to wait until I get the engine on a hoist and hanging from a chain, then I have access to the crank hub.and have plenty of room to put the flywheel on. But then I'd have to install the oil pan from underneath the engine while it's hanging on a chain, which I suppose I could do, but it would be much more difficult than doing it on the stand, which I can rotate so that the engine is upside down and the job is very easy. Also, I have the cork gaskets at either end of the block, which stick up a little at the ends and this is much easier to deal with the engine turned upsided down.

Joe I've got a crank in the garage with all 4 bolts sticking out of it. Let me know if you need them. I've been meaning to knock them out anyways as the crank is standing up on the bolts!

They're in the mail from Valley Vintage. My local NAPA has the oil pan gasket and the throwout bearing. Still looking for a place locally that will rebuild my clutch. If not, off to Tennessee it goes. But with shipping, etc. it might be about the same to buy new. We'll see.

I wonder if your pressure plate would fit in a flat rate USPS box?

Large Flat Rate Box

Domestic Rate: $13.50 with online pricing

APO/FPO Rate: $11.50 online

You save $0.45 online

International Rate: $31.30 (Mexico/Canada), $51.25 (all other countries) with online pricing

You save $1.65 to $2.70 online

Size: 12" x 12" x 5 1/2"

Good for: Laptop Computers, Small Conventional Oven, Military Care Package

usps_pm_car_lg.jpg