Ta Da!!!

Extremely nice job, hang your head high with pride, you deserve it. Are you planning on doing the Iola show, If not I would like to take a bike ride in your direction some weekend and see your new baby.

Todd B

Merle Great looking truck i hope mine comes out half as nice. If you travel across nothhern Ohio again please drop in. I enjoyed your visit and you are welcome anytime. I hope to see the truck sometime, my daughter lives in Chicago so I could drive a little more north.Thanks for all the help and ideas you share with the club. Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Fluid Drive was an option, first avaialble in the trucks in 1950. As I understand it, the standard option would have had a 3 speed attached, but the 4 speed was also an option with or without the Fluid Drive.

If the truck is so equiped, it should have "Fluid Drive" badges on the hood sides. If those are removed the other tell tale sign would be to look at the bell housing. The Fluid Drive bell housing is quite long compared to a standard clutch bell housing. If you're not sure how to compare the two bell housings, look at the clutch/brake linkage. On a standard bell housing the brake pedal is mounted on the clutch shaft with the clutch pedal. On a Fluid Drive housing, the pedals are mounted on a seperate shaft and there is a short link connecting the clutch pedal back to the clutch shaft.

Since you seem to be new to these trucks, I highly recommend that you go to your local book store and order up this book by Don Bunn. It'll tell you more that you ever expected to know about these trucks. I still consider myself a rookie with these trucks, even though I've been at mine for just over 2 years.

Book.jpg

Merle

thanks for the info merle! the pedals on this truck are on the same shaft. ive seen alot of refrences to that book, but i did not know the name. theres no fluid drive badges either. the transmission is funny looking though. ive heard that the 4speed transmission is unsyncronized. is that true?

yep. im new to these trucks.

thats a beauty! (im looking at one like it)

i noticed you said that yours is a 4 speed with fluidrive. were all 4 speeds fluidrive, or just some? And how can you tell?

Here's a simple test you can do to determine if it does or doesn't have the fluid drive coupling. While the engine is idling and your foot is on the brake let the clutch out real fast. If the engine is still running it's got fluid drive. If the engine conked out you have a standard clutch. :P

Tell me it ain't so. Merle's thread said the pedals are on same shaft. I just got my rebushed pedals back this week and want to start reassembly this fall. I thought I had a Fluid Drive B3B, three on column. Everything looks original and it has the FD badges. The bell housing appears to have the Fluid Drive Filler Plug in the right location.

What do I have? Fluid Drive or faux?

post-105-13585347963403_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585347963744_thumb.jpg

post-105-13585347963924_thumb.jpg

Merle said Fluid Drive pedals for clutch and brake are on separate shaft. Mine are on same shaft but all other indications are that it is Fluid Drive..Not that it matters at this point since I am deep into the restoration and will forge ahead regardless. But I may not the rare Fluid Drive badges.

Maybe I need to order my orignal build card from Chrysler.