Project 48 build thread

falconvan

I'm trying to get my hood springs back on the hinges, does anyone know how to do this and possibly have a picture of how they go on? I'm trying to hook the bottom into the tab on the side of the firewall and stretch them up to hook on the notch in the hinge but it seems like they are too short to reach? Am I missing something????

Edited by falconvan

• 11 months later...

First real progress in a long time on this. I did the final wet sand on the hood and should be painting it this week.I also decided to relocate the coils away from the valve covers for a cleaner look so I removed them and started building some brackets, plus ordered some aluminum valve covers, a fuel cell and pump, and some other misc I'll need to get the engine running. As soon as the hood is painted, the front is going up on blocks to fix the motor mounts and build some inner fenderwells. Sorry, no pictures; camera was out of batteries.

For the hood springs I've heard of this trick, but have not done it myself.  Stack pennies or nickels between each coil of the hood spring to slowly lengthen the spring.  When the spring is long enough to fit over the hinge, pry the coins out one at a time until the rest fall out.  Worth a try, can't cost more than a few bucks and some garage time.

• Like 1

Falcon,

Would you have an extra speedometer to fit a 46 P-15? I'll provide my e-mail if you have one, we can discuss price there. Thanks, RFCR

I sure don't. I'd be glad to let you know if if run across one.

For the hood springs I've heard of this trick, but have not done it myself.  Stack pennies or nickels between each coil of the hood spring to slowly lengthen the spring.  When the spring is long enough to fit over the hinge, pry the coins out one at a time until the rest fall out.  Worth a try, can't cost more than a few bucks and some garage time.

I tried pennies and they did not lenghten the spring enough.  So,....I made a stirrup that hooked into the lower part of the spring and hung down by the splash panel to about 4 inches off the ground.  Place a 2x4 in the stirrup and stand on it.  If you weigh more than 150# your weight is enough to stretch the spring.  I posted a pic several years ago but by now it has evaporated into the cosmos.  If you would like a pic,...give a yell and I'll shoot one tomorrow.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I did finally get the hood springs on; I made a rod with a handle and a hook on the end and was able to stretch them into place. As soon as I get this hood painted Im going to concentrate on getting the mechanicals finished up and getting the engine running. It's been 5 years since I put it together and still havent got to hear it run yet.

Well, nothing like restarting a project and running into a huge goof right off the bat! I bought a set of stainless block hugger headers a few years ago and once I put them on I wondered how in the heck I was supposed to get the front spark plug in as the front tube was directly in front of the hole. I contacted the manufacturer and they said to use an Accel short header plug. So a couple of years and projects later, I finally picked up two of them today and tried it.

Not even close! Ok, so it's been 3 years, probably can't return them. Now it hits me that maybe I've got them on the wrong side. So I pull them off, switch sides and that's it! But no, there's more! I built the motor mount pads (now securely welded to the frame and painted) around the reverse placement of the headers. Now that the headers are on correctly, the collectors land squarely on top of the motor mount pads. !!#%&$@!!!!!!!! So, time to chop off my nice, painted motor mount pads and start over. Oh well, at least it's a cheap fix. Man, I love cars.

I though I had something but I ended up right back where I was. I cut off the motor mount and bolted the header on only to find now a different plug is blocked; even after i tried to ding the tube for a little clearance. I just got a crappy made set of headers, I guess. So I'm debating of either trying to cut the one tube on each header and do a little rerouting or just buying another set and starting over. The other three tubes fit fine and I hate to just pitch them.

post-674-0-28214100-1408668387_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-37450400-1408668394_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-89664300-1408668406_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-48479100-1408668412_thumb.jpg

Try to picture it finished.  Its going to be fantastic and you won't be stymied by a poor fitting part. There are people like me out here that can only dream of having something like that, and we're waiting for more progress reports. Just throw something across the garage and get back to work.

• Like 1

I found a few places to buy stainless header bends so i ordered a couple of 1 5/8" 45 degree bends. Looks like it will be a fairly easy fix once they get here; I just cut the one tube off both headers and angled it down more. I had cut the one motor mount off so I had to rebuild that one. I went with a little different design and made this one bolt on rather than welded on. I've got the whole week of Labor Day off so I'm hoping to make some serious progress.

post-674-0-20212200-1408818855_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-68157500-1408818860_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-59865300-1408818865_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-13890700-1408818875_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the week off so I hit the boneyard for a day and spent today on the 48. Cool stuff in the yard, found a 55 Dodge with a Poly of unknown size, a 73 Olds with a 455, and a old convertible that was a shame to see being scrapped.

I got my headers altered and found out that MIG welding stainless takes some finesse. They look like a 3 year old welded them but at least I can get the plugs in now. Also got the steering staft connected to the rack N pinion. First time in 7 years you can turn the steering wheek and the front wheels turn! Tomorrow im going to install the radiator, trans cooler I pulled off of a Suburban, and plumb the trans lines. Maybe more if time allows.

post-674-0-21454700-1409796179_thumb.jpeg

post-674-0-80586900-1409796187_thumb.jpeg

post-674-0-61922600-1409796195_thumb.jpeg

post-674-0-95987000-1409796204_thumb.jpeg

post-674-0-71808500-1409796211_thumb.jpeg

post-674-0-00687900-1409796217_thumb.jpeg

I got my radiator and trans cooler in along with several little jobs like starter, dipstick, torque coverter bolts. Also swapped out the valvecovers; I like these much better. The guy that painted the car for me is coming over Sunday to shoot the hood and my next task is to get the fuel system plumbed.

post-674-0-16558100-1409868189_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-54081500-1409868199_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-47814000-1409868208_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-95042300-1409868217_thumb.jpg

Actually, the next project is a reverse trike using a custom tube chassis and a front wheel drive Dodge 2.2/auto trans drivetrain. Probably won't post that one here, I think it's a little too far out of the forum guidelines.

• Like 1

Actually, the next project is a reverse trike using a custom tube chassis and a front wheel drive Dodge 2.2/auto trans drivetrain. Probably won't post that one here, I think it's a little too far out of the forum guidelines.

Similar concept as the Can-Am Spyder? Maybe you can start a build thread in the O.T. section, if there are no objections.

• Like 2

While maybe not appropriate for this site, I for one would love to follow the build. ;)

If you find an a site for your build at least post it here so any interested persons can follow along!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Will do. My wife was not ecstatic about me starting another project before I get the 48 going so I promised her I'll get the 48 mechanically done before I dive into the trike. I'd better keep my word, she looks serious this time.