1/2 or 3/4 ton??? ID woes..

Guest firstsigns

I think the front wheels are out of place a bit. Looks like they are back a couple inches. Your truck certainly has a lot of character. I wouldn't put a lot of trust in the "roll bar" though. As mentioned it looks like some one may have put a different front frame clip on the truck. Does if have leafsprings and straight axle or coil spring and "A" arms? As for the doors, you can only see one side at a time and can't see it at all from the inside......

Guest firstsigns

It has DEFINITELY been modified. I just noticed the front springs have been cut and are missing about a 1.5" piece out of the top spring. They're sagging a bit too- probably not too safe. Is the axle different too?

Frontaxle-springs.jpg

The axle looks right, but where the shock mounts to the axle looks wrong somehow. I'd have to go look at mine to confirm that.

You will definately need new springs. It looks like someone cut the springs to lower it, then added a piece of coil spring to assist it. It looks like the truck is resting on the rubber bump stops. That's just wrong on many accounts.

Guest firstsigns

Glad to hear i'm not going crazy. I know I can read a tape measure, but when I saw 112" that threw me for a loop...

i'm getting more pictures posted to show...

and yeah- that beautifull roll bar is definitely coming off. It does appear to be a solid axle. Were shocks common in the front as well as the leaf springs? Mine has them.

Guest firstsigns

and a quick note- I bought this truck Sunday and am not responsible for the door lettering or the nice piece of plywood (that doesn't fit) in the back of the bed.... just wanted to clarify that.

Guest firstsigns

I hadn't realized the length would change that much. I guess that's the only explanation. I can't find any welds or cuts on the frame.

I will for sure need some new leaf springs. Any good vendors? Too bad- I kind of like the stance.

Guest firstsigns
Here's the Pilothouse link that breaks out some of the numbers.

http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/vin/model.htm

Front frame number definitely is a 1950 B2C 116 built in California. But front frame and rear frame numbers should be the same.

My truck currently is basically a pile of accumulated leftovers and a dream. Between Dad and I we have 4 39-47 mopar trucks and then 3 parts trucks. Plus various other pieces purchased individually. Check out the my own rat rod post for some pics of my plans.

Looks like you've got a real cool starter there. I love the older body styles too. So hood and front fenders off, or are you going to have a complete body rat rod?

I do have a B2C ('50 3/4 ton) parts truck that I've slowly been stripping parts of off. I can have a look at the front springs to see what kind of shape they're in, but they're burried under a couple feet of snow at the moment. As I recall, they're OK. Also, I don't know what it would cost to ship them half way across the country.

Some of the guys over on the car side of this board have purchased replacement springs somewhere. There was even a post about it recently. You might want to search through the posts over there for possible spring vendors.

Guest firstsigns

Excellent. Thanks- i'll check out those posts. Yeah- don't go digging in snow to find out what shape they're in. I appreciate the thought though. Maybe i'll check back in with you on that when snow is melting off a bit! I'll need to get some rear fenders too, and apparently a correct driver's door as well. Shipping on something that large sure would be a bundle though I imagine. The parts list goes on- I need glass for both doors and vent windows too. I need a tailgate, and grill trim. A lot. At least with brakes and springs the truck will be safer again and driveable for now.

All of the glass, except for the rear corners, is just standard flat laminated glass. It should be available at any auto glass shop. As long as you can use the original glass as a pattern, they can cut new pieces for you.

Other than that, you'll just have to go shopping at the "Old Mopar Parts Home Shopping Network" (A.K.A. Ebay)

Looks like you've got a good start. Keep us posted on your progress.

Merle

It just goes to show, the more interesting a subject line, the more interest from members. And thanks Merle for the photo posting graphic. I learned something new. The conflicting ID numbers on the frame are still a mystery.

Guest firstsigns

Well thank you all for your help!!! I'll be back on again as the project continues. Likely with many more questions! It's been established that what I thought was a 1951 1/2 ton is in actuality a 1950 3/4 ton. That still works. Still a pilot-house! Now for the title-ing challenge.

-Dan Adel

Guest firstsigns
It just goes to show, the more interesting a subject line, the more interest from members. And thanks Merle for the photo posting graphic. I learned something new. The conflicting ID numbers on the frame are still a mystery.

-you know, i had conveniently forgotten about that part until I read through these threads again. I wonder why it would have different #'s stamped on the rear of the frame? The numbers don't really match any serial numbers for the years listed though. Odd.

Thanks again guys. And thanks Merle too for the photos of your trucks- helps me to see what it SHOULD look like. As far as the glass goes, my vent windows are pretty shattered. Still in the frame (though I don't know how), but I fear if I tried to take the glass out it would be in 50 pieces. And another question- would the glass be different for my driver's side door (51 or newer) than my passenger door (48-50)? I suppose I should just find the correct door and worry about it then...

Happy to say that my corner windows are suprisingly decent.